TravelinMax

SSH/SFTP into Pi on University Network

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 am

Right now I have my Pi setup at my mom's house plugged into the router and an external hard drive. I was wondering if there was a way I could bring my Pi to school (I'm staying in university housing) and still be able to SSH/SFTP into it.

I feel like it's not possible because I do not have control over the router (and all the other advanced network stuff) but I'm no expert.

Thanks!

Nr90

Re: SSH/SFTP into Pi on University Network

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:03 am

Should work just fine.
You just won't get a static IP address, so you'll have to look up what was been assigned to the RPi.

zackj

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 am

Sure! I've been using mine at university for months. You need to take into consideration how their network is configured. For example, my university blocks any incoming connections to dorm rooms that come from outside the campus. So if I go home, I would be unable to connect.

TravelinMax

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Interesting, I wasn't suspecting that. I'll bring it out here to test. Assuming I don't turn the Pi off it's ip should stay the same right? If my school down't block connections from outside, how would I find the Pi? I don't expect it gets its own "outside world" ip address. ie, while it's at home I use my home ip address and ping a certain port on the router which transfers to the Pi's local address.

zackj

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am

Well, it really depends on the specific configuration of the network. So let's say that they don't block incoming connections, and they give you an IP address that is reachable from the outside. Just run ifconfig to get your IP and you're good to go.

If the configuration is like the one I have, it may be a little more difficult. I have a public IP address, but any incoming connection is blocked. On campus, I can just type in my IP address and connect. When off campus, I have to use the university VPN to connect back into their network, then type in my IP to connect to my Raspberry Pi.

sixstringsg

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:47 pm

You can install Logmein Hamachi. That way you can get into the Pi from outside the school's network. It's what I do, and it works great.

Return to “Networking and servers”