The Rice King

Re: Minecraft server - How To

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:34 am

It is 6 am here in New Jersey, USA and after lots of trials and errors. I manage to get a CraftBukkit (Minecraft) server running very smooth. The server did crash at one point due to some sort of Java error on the Raspberry Pi side but I am so tire at this point that I am just happy I finally go this far to make it work. Thank you so much for taking the time to put these instructions together. The server runs amazingly smooth and fast. I want this to work so badly because I have two sons and both Minecraft fans and this method will save a lot of electricity. If we the community can continue to work hard to work on perfecting running a Minecraft/CraftBukkit server stable on a Raspberry Pi to share with just a hand full of friend I think it would be a huge accomplishment. I will write tomorrow all the details and settings I currently have setup. I will do tons of stress test. Lets keep at it guys. Been able to run a 24/7 stable Minecraft/CraftBukkit server with only 5 Watts is awesome and incredibly fun specially for only $35. Plus is motivating me to learn programming using Python.

.not

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 pm

I just wrote a blog entry about my experiences with Minecraft on my Raspberry Pi so far. Thanks randrade for the initial idea!
| Debian, FreeBSD | Raspberry Pi, Model B, 512MB RAM |

randrade

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:49 pm

You're welcome!

Glad to see others got their servers to run.

Also, I just updated mine to 1.4.7.

I created a small bash script to run updates at your request.

1) cd to wherever the minecraft server jar is
2) sudo nano update.sh
3) type this in:

Code: Select all

rm minecraft_server.jar
wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftDownload/launcher/minecraft_server.jar
4) Ctrl+X, then Y, then Enter/Return
5) if you ever want to update your server jar just type sudo bash ./update.sh into terminal. You have to cd to wherever the server jar is first.

Asbesthene

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks for doing this. It works like a charm. I'm planning on visiting the server later on so thanks.

randrade

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:00 pm

.not wrote:I guess (.. and it's an uneducated guess as I am not a programmer.) that the alternative implementations of the Minecraft server written in a language other than Java (such as MCServer or Mineserver - there are others but most of them are currently in an early stage of development) will give you better results in general. If I find some time I'll probably play around with them a little bit.
I just had a look at those. MCServer only has x86/64 builds and Mineserver only has Windows builds :( Though if anyone's up for it and has the skills required, Mineserver is on Github... :)

Flushentity

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi guys, great topic and instructions - However I run into problems when trying to mine as when I dig near spawn the soil will compact into a collectible block then it replaces itself as if I never dug it originally?!? Thinking this was due to protected spawn area size I reduced to 1 in the server.cfg file. Even if I leave the spawn area by a huge distance this continues to happen?!? Does anyone have a good stable build that they could make an image file with and upload it? so all we need to do is edit interfaces file to make the ip address's to suit??! I have even tried running mcserver on pi but that was really unstable and animal behaviour was odd to say the least but that's still in its infancy. Thanks guys

jammydodger231

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello everyone I'm stuck on Step 7 I am in the root directory and can navigate to /etc also when I type "dir" it shows networks is there but I cannot cd to it when i type "cd /networks/" It says not a directory or if I go from root and put "cd /etc/networks" I get the same output

randrade

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Flushentity wrote:Hi guys, great topic and instructions - However I run into problems when trying to mine as when I dig near spawn the soil will compact into a collectible block then it replaces itself as if I never dug it originally?!? Thinking this was due to protected spawn area size I reduced to 1 in the server.cfg file. Even if I leave the spawn area by a huge distance this continues to happen?!? Does anyone have a good stable build that they could make an image file with and upload it? so all we need to do is edit interfaces file to make the ip address's to suit??! I have even tried running mcserver on pi but that was really unstable and animal behaviour was odd to say the least but that's still in its infancy. Thanks guys
Er, not sure what happened to my post...

Here's my server.properties:

#Minecraft server properties
#Sun Jan 20 17:10:19 WET 2013
allow-flight=false
snooper-enabled=true
level-seed=
online-mode=false
difficulty=1
spawn-monsters=true
generator-settings=
pvp=true
server-ip=
enable-rcon=false
generate-structures=true
level-name=world
enable-query=false
spawn-protection=16
spawn-npcs=false
max-build-height=256
texture-pack=
hardcore=false
level-type=DEFAULT
server-port=25565
allow-nether=false
spawn-animals=true
white-list=false
motd=Raspberry Pi server
max-players=20
view-distance=10
gamemode=0

randrade

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:13 pm

jammydodger231 wrote:Hello everyone I'm stuck on Step 7 I am in the root directory and can navigate to /etc also when I type "dir" it shows networks is there but I cannot cd to it when i type "cd /networks/" It says not a directory or if I go from root and put "cd /etc/networks" I get the same output
Um, that's very strange. Any Linux experts who can help? I'm not very familiar with Linux, just the basics.

Flushentity

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 am

It's "cd network" not networks. If you type "ls" you'll see the directory list/structure. That will fix your problem

randrade

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 am

Yeah, you're right! But I can't edit my post... Mods?

Flushentity

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Well I will keep my dedicated server running for now just until someone finds another way to run a minecraft server without using the memory hungry java, I will keep following this as I would love to use my pi as a server rather than the 500w quad core hovercraft I'm using now.

msamman

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 am

Try running MCServer?

http://mc-server.org/

apparently some dude got it up and running:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/158 ... pberry-pi/

randrade

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 pm

I should be getting some new, bigger SD cards next week. Gonna try compiling it and seeing what happens!

Flushentity

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 pm

msamman wrote:Try running MCServer?

Yes I had MCServer up and running on my pi. It is really good, especially with its very low CPU load. However, being unofficial - it lacks proper tree growth, animals are spur attic in movement and other small teething problems, give it a year or so and it will be the best solution for low spec servers, especially the pi. I can upload a sd card image of a fully working server with os if anyone is interested in running this?

randrade

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Flushentity wrote:
msamman wrote:Try running MCServer?

Yes I had MCServer up and running on my pi. It is really good, especially with its very low CPU load. However, being unofficial - it lacks proper tree growth, animals are spur attic in movement and other small teething problems, give it a year or so and it will be the best solution for low spec servers, especially the pi. I can upload a sd card image of a fully working server with os if anyone is interested in running this?
Yes please!

xxnextenxx

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Brilliant guide, helped me out loads as I wanted to run a quite minecraft server for about eight people. It did so brilliantly once it had about two minutes to render the chunks in, we have even been to the nether (temporarily kicks everyone to load chunks, same as server first boot) but runs extremely smooth now as long as we don't explore too far. I was wondering how do you keep your Pi cool when running it 24/7 as mine tends to get rather warm?

Oh by the way I also managed to get bukkit running! I haven't tried implementing plugins to the server yet as I'm not exactly sure how to go about it (don't judge I'm under 16 and can not code so this is new to me :3 ).

randrade

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:14 pm

xxnextenxx wrote:Brilliant guide, helped me out loads as I wanted to run a quite minecraft server for about eight people. It did so brilliantly once it had about two minutes to render the chunks in, we have even been to the nether (temporarily kicks everyone to load chunks, same as server first boot) but runs extremely smooth now as long as we don't explore too far. I was wondering how do you keep your Pi cool when running it 24/7 as mine tends to get rather warm?

Oh by the way I also managed to get bukkit running! I haven't tried implementing plugins to the server yet as I'm not exactly sure how to go about it (don't judge I'm under 16 and can not code so this is new to me :3 ).
Mine usually runs at 45C-55C (though ambient temperature hasn't been too high thanks to cold weather). I just keep my Pi on my desk, inside a case.

To implement plugins in a bukkit server, just get them from their website and place them in the plugins folder that bukkit automatically creates when you start the server. Then restart the server and the plugins will be loaded!

xxnextenxx

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 pm

randrade wrote:
xxnextenxx wrote:Brilliant guide, helped me out loads as I wanted to run a quite minecraft server for about eight people. It did so brilliantly once it had about two minutes to render the chunks in, we have even been to the nether (temporarily kicks everyone to load chunks, same as server first boot) but runs extremely smooth now as long as we don't explore too far. I was wondering how do you keep your Pi cool when running it 24/7 as mine tends to get rather warm?

Mine usually runs at 45C-55C (though ambient temperature hasn't been too high thanks to cold weather). I just keep my Pi on my desk, inside a case.

To implement plugins in a bukkit server, just get them from their website and place them in the plugins folder that bukkit automatically creates when you start the server. Then restart the server and the plugins will be loaded!
Okay thanks maybe I will buy a heatsink...

Would I download the file then move it to plugins or use a code that puts it their automatically?

randrade

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:27 pm

xxnextenxx wrote:
randrade wrote:

Okay thanks maybe I will buy a heatsink...

Would I download the file then move it to plugins or use a code that puts it their automatically?
From what I heard, heatsinks don't really do that much. If your Pi is at 45-55C it's no problem though. Anything below 80C is good.

Just move the plugin files into the folder.

kworley97

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:33 pm

When I run the command sudo /opt/jdk1.8.0/bin/java -version I keep getting the error command not found. Can anyone help me out?

randrade

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:37 pm

kworley97 wrote:When I run the command sudo /opt/jdk1.8.0/bin/java -version I keep getting the error command not found. Can anyone help me out?
This means you made a mistake on one of the previous steps. Try repeating everything.

What distro are you using?

kworley97

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 pm

I am running raspbian but I am pretty sure I did everything correctly. I guess I will try everything again.

kworley97

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 pm

got it working now, I made a mistake when typing one of the commands thank you for the help and the tutorial.

Return to “Networking and servers”