meteorainer

Re: Minecraft server - How To

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:32 am

I am just now stumbling on to RasPI. This is really cool crap right here. I read this whole thread just dreaming of all the things I could do with one of these.

Looked at the cases threads and someone has like 8 of them strung together.

I've entered the contest already (first reply :D). I'm really excited to get moving into this. Prob going to get a XBMC running and a MC server. Can't beat it for $35 (def getting B)

Alexbot

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:51 am

In the guide it says to type in the name of the package. What is the name of the package?
mkdir -p /opt
sudo tar zxvf (name of package) -C /opt
rm (name of package)
sudo /opt/jdk1.8.0/bin/java -version

chbug

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Interesting combo: running a minecraft server on a Pi and making it available to the world via pagekite (see http://pagekite.net/wiki/Howto/MinecraftServer/).

Timmeh

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Ok so I understand that no one has posted on this thread for a while now but I have a problem. The server is working absolutely fine, very little lag with up to about 5 players. The only thing is there is a glitch where you destroy a block but then it reappears and you have to wait up to a minute for it to disappear. It is annoying and takes all the fun out of the game. Anything that I could try would be much appreciated. Raspberry Pi 512mb ram 4gb sd card

Thanks again
Tim

jamesmd95

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Get a faster SD card and overclock harder :)
rapidwhois.uk | jmdawson.co.uk

KRIS537

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Timmeh wrote:Ok so I understand that no one has posted on this thread for a while now but I have a problem. The server is working absolutely fine, very little lag with up to about 5 players. The only thing is there is a glitch where you destroy a block but then it reappears and you have to wait up to a minute for it to disappear. It is annoying and takes all the fun out of the game. Anything that I could try would be much appreciated. Raspberry Pi 512mb ram 4gb sd card

Thanks again
Tim
I had exactly the same issue with mine, I had a 16Gb class 10 card still had this issue. I decided not to bother with the minecraft server and use craftbukkit. It runs perfectly, no lag etc. Added bonus is that you can use plugins to make things interesting.

Also note that is you use craftbukkit make sure that all players do not update minecraft when there is a new release, as craftbukkit are a few days behind in updates to latest versions. also that pluggins would take a while to update too.

acerio

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Got up to the very end where I can see the server in my list with full green bars up and running, but when I try to connect, I get this error?

Failed to verify username! [internal error java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable]

Anyone experiencing this?

Hiradur

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 pm

try to set online-mode=false in server.properties.

Did anyone try to make use of the ramdisk function? if the world is not too big it might improve performance significantly. I will give it a shot...

EDIT: Tried but didn't get it to work. My world is 102mb big but if I move it to Raspbians ramdisk directory it says that there is not enough space although free -m shows me 400+mb free memory before moving and 200+mb after moving. Never worked with a ramdisk before, what am I doing wrong?

jamesmd95

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:54 pm

This thread has been dead for sometime now! :( anyways, im guessing a few of you have raspberry pi minecraft servers now :) I am hoping to put together a list of public pi-hosted minecraft servers on either kraftyhosting or raspie.co.uk. If anyone is interested in this drop me a message! Would be nice to see a few of them available for the public to play on.
rapidwhois.uk | jmdawson.co.uk

KorvusRedmane

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi,

I've used the script provided by jamesmd95 to set up a sever on my pi, but i'm unable to run the sever itself. I've looked in the comments on http://kraftyhosting.eu/tutorial-raspbe ... er-update/ and there was a similar issue associated with not having enough memory so can i ask how big is the craftbucket install?
(Posting here because this is where I found my way there, might help someone else. Also I did get a working install following the instructions on the first page, was just having lots of slow mining so figured I'd try the script)

Thanks,
Korvus Redmane

sdd

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:15 am

so if one of the biggest limitations is exploring, how well do you think skyblock would run?

chromebookbob

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 pm

I am getting fatal java runtime errors, like this every time I try to boot the server... Help!:
fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x40bf36c0, pid=2615, tid=1408889968
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (25.0-b04 mixed mode linux-arm )
# Problematic frame:
# C [libm.so.6+0x1f6c0] sqrtl+0x58
Visit my website with the original instructions on it for both vanilla and Tekkit Lite Servers: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com

chromebookbob

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm

I have tried your how to,(its great!) and I now have a server up: 81.153.105.152:25565
I would love it if more people would join me here, there is a town at spawn! I got lucky with my seed. It should be on all day today, but not next week. I am skiing! See you out there :mrgreen: :ugeek:
Visit my website with the original instructions on it for both vanilla and Tekkit Lite Servers: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com

SwedishMinecraftGuy

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Works great, thank you very much for taking you time!
I just want an easier way of launching the server since it's a quite long command required to do so. Is it possible to create a file which contains the command, like a .bat Bukkit launcher on PC?
Thank you!

Hiradur

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Sure, use a Shell script like this one (it's for spigot, if you use mc vanilla server you should only need the last line and edit the .jar file name.

spigot.sh in /home/pi/spigot

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
 BINDIR=$(dirname "$(readlink -fn "$0")")
 cd "$BINDIR"
 sudo /opt/jdk1.8.0/bin/java -Xms240M -Xmx384M -jar spigot.jar
and in home/pi I start the server with <sh spigot.sh> with this script:
spigot.sh in /home/pi

cd spigot
screen sh spigot.sh
btw: Spigot runs like a charm with 5 people online on my Pi 512MB. I have a total of 6 plugins running including NoSpawnChunks. I tried out Dynmap which renders your map and delivers an interface for your browser to see player movement and blockplacing live. It's super smooth in very low res mode and still looks good.
Only problem I got is that redstone circuits are super slow and slow down the server from an average of 19TPS to ~6 TPS if a clock is involved. Very sad since I love redstone circuits...

SkittyNL

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Hiradur wrote:Sure, use a Shell script like this one (it's for spigot, if you use mc vanilla server you should only need the last line and edit the .jar file name.

spigot.sh in /home/pi/spigot

#!/bin/sh
 BINDIR=$(dirname "$(readlink -fn "$0")")
 cd "$BINDIR"
 sudo /opt/jdk1.8.0/bin/java -Xms240M -Xmx384M -jar spigot.jar
and in home/pi I start the server with <sh spigot.sh> with this script:
spigot.sh in /home/pi

cd spigot
screen sh spigot.sh
btw: Spigot runs like a charm with 5 people online on my Pi 512MB. I have a total of 6 plugins running including NoSpawnChunks. I tried out Dynmap which renders your map and delivers an interface for your browser to see player movement and blockplacing live. It's super smooth in very low res mode and still looks good.
Only problem I got is that redstone circuits are super slow and slow down the server from an average of 19TPS to ~6 TPS if a clock is involved. Very sad since I love redstone circuits...
What are your settings of DynMap I can't run it smooth. Maybe it's possible to post your dynmap settings?

GeorgeFrench

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:20 pm

I've been playing with my Raspberry Pi Server for months now, and love it. I posted about the Spigot alternative but have since been using Craftbukkit - Only thing I have wanted was a suitable Web Control Panel. I know there are panels out there like Multicraft & McMyAdmin, but I wanted something lightweight and simple. Some people might ask why I would want such a thing, since the Raspberry Pi is all about linux. But anyway here go's, I am considering developing a simple web panel designed for controlling Raspberry Pi's running a Minecraft Server. I'm posting this to ask how many people would find it useful if I released it? Some posts on this thread mention parents setting up Servers for kids, they could use this to let there kids, start, stop and control other functions of the Minecraft Server from a Web Panel.

Hiradur

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:55 pm

SkittyNL wrote:What are your settings of DynMap I can't run it smooth. Maybe it's possible to post your dynmap settings?
What do you mean with "can't run smooth"? Not working at all, slowing down your server or slow webpage loading?

I'm currently not at home but I think the only changes I made are setting renderinterval from 0.5 seconds to 10 seconds and disable rendering of nether and the end. After some days I switched to an interval of 120 seconds because we don't use it's live feature, we only use it for orientation and to see what we have built already. with the high renderinterval it isn't really live anymore but it runs much better.

However sometimes it doesn't update automatically after its renderinterval. Even after 10minutes there is no update and i have to use /dynmap updaterender. Haven't found out the problem yet but it doesn't happen very often... Maybe you got the same problem and it happens to you more frequently?

Oh, I also use SirLagz' Raspbian Server Edition. This OS takes much less RAM, don't know the exact number but I'll check it later. :)

PrivateLu

Why isn't Port Forwarding easier

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi, I have followed your guide to the letter, but I recently changed my Router to a more secure one.

1. I am having a few tiny problems, I got the server to run, however I have to have putty open on my laptop whenever I want to connect, I can't seem to find a way to have it running all the time. (Minecraft_server not putty)

2. My previous router wouldn't allow external access to the server, and I happily found a replacement, but I am still struggling with this Port Forwarding thing. I have setup the ports to enabled/open. But through a website to check if they're open it says they are actually closed.
I can't find an answer to this. I have set - 25565 - TCP & UDP - Enabled - Pi's IP
It doesn't seem to be working, I have set the static IP as well.

3. And my last question is, where you've put "your routers IP" in these:
gateway (your router's ip)
nameserver (your router's ip)
Do you mean the public IP or the network IP. I am quite new to this port forwarding and have managed to confuse myself quite well. If there was a contest to confuse yourself over this sort of thing, I could probably win.

I am in no hurry for an answer, but the internet isn't proving to be of much use for my answers.

My router if you must know is: Linksys WAG200G - Firmware 1.00.09

Thanks for the guide though, works on my network, just not for external use. Oh, and sorry for the massive question there, that kind of got a little out of hand.

Hiradur

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:01 pm

1. You need a session manager like screen. Get it with
apt-get install screen
then start your server with
screen sh startupscript.sh
if you use a startup script. If not it should be
screen /.../java mc_server
to switch from running server to terminal use ctrl a+d and to resume your session (e.g. to stop the server) use screen -r.

2. Did you try it ingame? You can see if portforwarding works from your own home if you use your external ip.

3. Don't know what you are talking about but I guess you need your internal ip.

SkittyNL

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Hiradur wrote:
SkittyNL wrote:What are your settings of DynMap I can't run it smooth. Maybe it's possible to post your dynmap settings?
What do you mean with "can't run smooth"? Not working at all, slowing down your server or slow webpage loading?

I'm currently not at home but I think the only changes I made are setting renderinterval from 0.5 seconds to 10 seconds and disable rendering of nether and the end. After some days I switched to an interval of 120 seconds because we don't use it's live feature, we only use it for orientation and to see what we have built already. with the high renderinterval it isn't really live anymore but it runs much better.

However sometimes it doesn't update automatically after its renderinterval. Even after 10minutes there is no update and i have to use /dynmap updaterender. Haven't found out the problem yet but it doesn't happen very often... Maybe you got the same problem and it happens to you more frequently?

Oh, I also use SirLagz' Raspbian Server Edition. This OS takes much less RAM, don't know the exact number but I'll check it later. :)
I've tried it again and it's now working better. I've changed the dynmap map render settings to the old default render settings. I also changed renderinterval to 2 seconds but I will set it to 5 or 10 seconds. I hope that works better. I'm also using the standard Raspbian version but I think that doesn't matter
Thanks for the tips and I will try it.

OnDek_27

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 pm

This tutorial helped a lot. However, when I start up the server, it took a little while to start generating the map. Then, once it began generating the map, it progressed so slowly that it is only up to 80% on the first dimension after 30 min. Yesterday when I tried this, after getting to to 70% on the second dimension, it "killed" itself after running for two hours. I allocated 16 MB to the GPU, and because I have a 512MB Raspberry Pi, I used the command "java -Xmx400M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui". Why is my server done in the three minutes you claimed? I thought it would be faster, but it is not. Does this need overclocking? I also tried this with the official minecraft server jar file, so craftbukkit is not the problem. Thanks

xDVGx

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Join my Raspberry Pi server help me test it out :D

dvgcraft.dlinkddns.com

chromebookbob

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:14 pm

BTW I get much better performance with view distance right down

A1i2T3R

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Its a good idea and use if you have nothing else
But to be honest i can think of better things to do with my PI
Also remember it only has 1/2 GB of ram
Servers with 2
LAG
Enthusiastic pi user, with a hoby for modding everyday objects and using the pi as the brain!

Return to “Networking and servers”