Kaseryn

Help installing Oracle JDK 8/Airsonic

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi all. Pretty much a complete noob here with Linux. I had Airsonic (an audio streaming fork or subsonic) on windows and am now trying to set it up on a Pi (to which i am also completely new). Just finding my feet but Airsonic needs an older version of Oracle Java JDK to work which isn't included in the Raspbian image library. I got as far as downloading what i think is the right package from Oracle's website and have extracted it in the usr/local directory. As things stand i have ssh cmd line access with Putty and sftp with Filezilla. It's a headless setup. Can anyone please tell me how i go about properly installing the package from here? I've been reading around but none of the guides i've seen seem to quite fit my scenario or i just get lost in the technicals.

cheers

airsonic: https://airsonic.github.io/docs/install ... spberrypi/

Pi is a Model 4b

package i want to install is jdk-8u251-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz

knute

Re: Help installing Oracle JDK 8/Airsonic

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:22 pm

I looked at that webpage and it says you need at least version 7. Since 11 is the current long term support version, I would install that.

sudo apt update

sudo apt install openjdk-11-jdk

Kaseryn

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. I thought the install specified the version i downloaded for compatibility reasons but if that's not the case i'll try 11 as you suggest. Will post back thanks.

Kaseryn

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Actually you've linked to Open Java which i'm trying to avoid as it hangs the boot for an hour apparently. This is why i've been at pains to get hold of the Oracle package. Since the license arrangements changed you can only get hold of it through a registered Oracle account which i've done so .. how can i install this?

edit i have managed to remove the open java package

knute

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:56 am

Kaseryn wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:48 pm
Actually you've linked to Open Java which i'm trying to avoid as it hangs the boot for an hour apparently. This is why i've been at pains to get hold of the Oracle package. Since the license arrangements changed you can only get hold of it through a registered Oracle account which i've done so .. how can i install this?

edit i have managed to remove the open java package
I followed that link and that information appears to be old and not applicable to current versions of OpenJDK. Any version of Oracle's JDK 8 that you can use is very old. I think using OpenJDK 11 will be fine but you'll have to try it to be sure I guess.

Kaseryn

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 am

Ok if I have to try that I will. Waiting on a new pi for the moment. However I have the package for a known working version day on my drive. Do you not know the commands for that to be installed?

knute

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:33 pm

If it is the same package you have in your first post:

sudo mv jdk-8u251-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz /opt

cd /opt

sudo tar xvf jdk-8u251-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz

I think it will create a directory something like jdk-8_251. All of the programs are in jdk-8_251/bin.

Create some links in your /home/pi/bin directory to java, javac and jar:

ln -s /opt/jdk-1.251/bin/java java
ln -s /opt/jdk-1.251/bin/jar jar
ln -s /opt/jdk-1.251/bin/javac javac

It will take you the download time plus about 15 seconds to install the OpenJDK and it is in the repository so it will upgrade when new versions come out. The package installation from the repository will set all the paths for Java. You can remove it in another 15 seconds. I don't understand the reluctance to try it but there you go. Remember you legally need a license from Oracle to use that version of Java for other than development or testing.

Kaseryn

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Thanks for all that. The reluctance is just that it has that warning about frozen starts but as you say that might no longer be an issue. The new pi has turned up so i'll try it with Open first and see how she goes. Cheers :)

Return to “Networking and servers”