Hi,

I want to build an all in one server with an raspberry pi 4b 4gb,

I want to run the following application on it;

-Pi hole
-Nextcloud
-Plexmedia server
-Deluge
-Motioneyes (optional)

As for backup i gonna set it in Raid 1 (mirror) with 2x 1TB WD red nas 3.0.

At the moment i have 3b+ running this;

-Pi hole
-Nextcloud
-Plexmedia server
-Deluge
no raid 1

because of the limited ram 1gb of 3b+ i am switching to 4b and ofcourse the usb and network speed :D

So my question is, what is a good foundation for running the application that i mention above? I was looking between Raspbian or openmediavault. Also if something happens it must be easy to repair it (recovery raid 1).

Raspbian

pros;
you will get dekstop VNC and remote
less commandlines
easy acces (GUI)

cons;
need to install mdadm
heavy resource
hard to setup the port for the application

Openmediavault

pros;
more focus on NAS functions like raid 1
docker, easy to manage port

cons;
no desktop
no remote ?? (not sure) :?:

The pro and cons list that i made are as far i know, please correct me if i am wrong. :roll:

If you have any idea or suggestion for other OS`s let me know and why you prefer that one as base for the NAS server.

Thanks in advance

epoch1970

Re: all in 1 server, pihole, nextcloud, plex,deluge

Wed May 20, 2020 7:58 pm

My suggestion is to not use Raid.
High-maintenance, noisy, brittle, not designed at all for USB or for a Pi.
Lookup the forums for Raid-related threads and see if you need to go that route.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

stefanislate

Thu May 21, 2020 11:39 am

Would an enclosure raid be an solution to the problems?? like this one https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33036335250.html

LTolledo

Thu May 21, 2020 11:54 am

an HDD enclosure with hardware RAID controller should be better as it takes the RAID task away from the RPi.
but still, it is highly recommended to create periodic backups of your RAID, on another NAS

doing all services on one device is a good idea
however, should a problem arise on that single device (containing all your required services), then your whole system will be "out for the count"

my recommendation:
plex and deluge on a single server
pi-hole on another SBC (or could be a RPi2B or other older boards)

cant recommend for nextcloud, not using it.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

stefanislate

Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 pm

which OS do you recommend as base foundation for installing the application ??? Raspbian or openmediavault ? Or other OS that you can recommend ?

what backup application do you recommend????

LTolledo

Sat May 23, 2020 12:36 am

For RPi boards definitely I use Raspbian Lite for server use.
I don't (as in never ever) use OMV.

at most 2 service in one server
don't want the "nightmare scenario" of an all-in-one server going down, taking everything out.

backups done via rsync.... to mirror server(s)

Some people be like:

busywait

Sat May 23, 2020 7:15 am

LTolledo wrote:
at most 2 service in one server
don't want the "nightmare scenario" of an all-in-one server going down, taking everything out.
Don't you end up with everything dependent on certain critical services anyway? Say a shared drive?

My rule is "at most two servers in the house" :)
LTolledo wrote:
backups done via rsync.... to mirror server(s)
This. And when something fails, redeploy to either the backup hardware in your drawer/other server, or swiftly purchased hardware.

DarrenHill

Sat May 23, 2020 8:57 am

I'd look at DietPi. It can cover all the bases mentioned, including Motioneyes.

stefanislate

Sun May 24, 2020 1:28 pm

@LTolledo

is Rsync not the same as Raid 1? Raid 1 is more up to date with backup (instance) and Rsync more like a day, depends on the settings. Also i have seen some other type of backup methode, like ZFS and BTRFS and an application called time shift (something like making an snap shot) i dont f this is available for the raspberry :roll: Could that be more alternative solution? i am kinda noob in backing things up :?

To make an all in one server i will take the nightmare in consideration, i think that is not really a big problem, as long the data is secure on the HDD. Its more likely that the SD card is gonna fail. So the OS and the settings, ill back this up in one image and if it fail ill restore on the new SD card.

to be honest its more like an hobby to store my personal data,

by the way i got the enclosure raid HDD from the brand Orico, the transparent version dual bay , i didnt tried it yet, but soon. The first thing i see, there is no fan the cool the hdd :roll: i dont know if this is good for the HDD.

@busywait

2 server is kinda overkill i think, for my situation :lol:

@darrenhill
thanks for your suggestion. I`ve look into that and i can see that is very lightweight os, maybe ill should use that instead of raspbian, i am even more confuse, like more doubt which one to use :lol:

Further more i want to add more services ! haha :mrgreen: all in one printer and scanner (pixma mp 270) server and samba. Not ideal to add more service.

Also should i put OS on the SD card or on the USB boot (hdd or SSD) for longevity? I saw that the most SD card died after one year using as server.

Thank you all for the ideas and input, if you have more suggestion please keep posting

So for now
SDcard or USB boot (HDD of SSD) not sure yet
OS = still got doubts Raspian or diet pi
Backing up = Rsync

LTolledo

Sun May 24, 2020 9:36 pm

stefanislate wrote: @LTolledo

is Rsync not the same as Raid 1? Raid 1 is more up to date with backup (instance) and Rsync more like a day, depends on the settings. Also i have seen some other type of backup method, like ZFS and BTRFS and an application called time shift (something like making an snap shot) i dont f this is available for the raspberry Could that be more alternative solution? i am kinda noob in backing things up
Rsync and RAID1 are not the same.
Its true that Rsync depends on the settings.
ZFS and BTRFS are file systems, not backup methods. but these file systems are used in some backup solutions.
further reading on backup solutions are available in the wild wild web....(I'll assume you know how to use internet search engines)
stefanislate wrote:...as long the data is secure on the HDD....
stefanislate wrote: to be honest its more like an hobby to store my personal data,
well this was how I was doing (and my thinking) as well, until the HDD suffered problems, am not able to recover (HDD corrupted then died)....thus the "nightmare". Some personal data......gone forever....

then used a single commercial RAID1 solution..... became complacent..... system firmware problems, HDD died.... service not available.... another "nightmare" scenario...

lessons learned......countermeasures now implemented....now able to recover immediately.....

FYI....my RPi2BNAS is booting off microSD, for the last 2 years.... still going OK

you may add more services (like print servers, scanners, mail servers, webservers, etc, as much as you like)
being aware of the possible problems and their consequences, you may proceed with your project as you see fit.

....and have fun!

Some people be like:

Return to “Networking and servers”