StephensCM

P2P Pi 2 Pi

Sat May 16, 2020 2:38 pm

Im trying to find a way to connect two Pi's over wifi between just the two pi's. I have tried this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BkfztZ ... =10&t=794s
and I am able to see the Pi wifi network (adhac) but am unable to connect the other pi. as well as other AP how to's with no success. Im trying to make the PI's completely independent from any other network. Im running two 3B+'s both with buster.

B.Goode

Re: P2P Pi 2 Pi

Sat May 16, 2020 2:44 pm

StephensCM wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:38 pm
Im trying to find a way to connect two Pi's over wifi between just the two pi's. I have tried this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BkfztZ ... =10&t=794s
and I am able to see the Pi wifi network (adhac) but am unable to connect the other pi. as well as other AP how to's with no success. Im trying to make the PI's completely independent from any other network. Im running two 3B+'s both with buster.

Raspberry Pi themselves have documentation here -
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /wireless/

StephensCM

Sat May 16, 2020 2:58 pm

The bridged access point on their site it one of the ones I have tried and was unable to even see the connection in my available connections. I'll give it another shot and see what happens. Thank you

B.Goode

Sat May 16, 2020 4:06 pm

StephensCM wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:58 pm
The bridged access point on their site it one of the ones I have tried and was unable to even see the connection in my available connections. I'll give it another shot and see what happens. Thank you

I thought you didn't want a bridged solution....

StephensCM

Sat May 16, 2020 4:11 pm

i have found how to's that explain turning the pi into an AP, following the how to half way through up to the connection but stopping before you bring connecting to the outside world. I want to be able to put two pi's in a Faraday cage alone but still have them able to connect to one another wireless.

JovianPyx

Sun May 17, 2020 3:50 pm

The best way to isolate a LAN is to use wires, not radio.

If your Raspberry Pi boards are the type with an ethernet connector, get a "ethernet crossover cable" and connect the two boards together. There is no hub required. Assign each Pi it's own static IP address. Resolve name to IP address translation in /etc/hosts. Once connected, the two machines are in a peer to peer network. As a test, each Pi should be able to ping the other Pi.

B.Goode

Sun May 17, 2020 4:04 pm

get a "ethernet crossover cable"
No need to seek out a special crossover cable - a standard straight-through 'patch' cable will do perfectly well.

But probably Off Topic, since the OP specifies, for reasons unknown to the rest of us, "trying to find a way to connect two Pi's over wifi"

Return to “Networking and servers”