Zeropeace

How to configure Raspberry Pi with 2 ip's for Fog_Project

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:08 pm

Hello Users,

I am often turned to as the family and friends IT guy. And I'm Sick and tired of formatting their PC's and then the reinstall. I did look into how to streamline this and found FOG_project. I also have a Raspberry 4 that i got gifted. So i figured i could make my Pi a mobile FOG server that i can carry with me from user to user easily.

After installing and playing around with it i noticed i need to reinstall the software each time i connected it to a new network because it could not find a network connection on the static IP i gave it. So i only got it working if i reinstalled the software and set the static ip's and gateways for each network as i was in them.

So i started thinking. is it possible to give my pi 2 IP addresses. One that it will dynamically always get from the dhcp from the network it's connecting to and then a static IP that will always be there listening for PXE calls?

PhatFil

Re: How to configure Raspberry Pi with 2 ip's for Fog_Project

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi Probably the simplest solution would be to log into your dhcp server (router?) and assign a static ip to your pi via its mac addy. And then reset your pi to simply acquire an ip addy from the dhcp server on whatever network you plug it into. when @ home your router will apply the fixed ip addy you have assigned but when out n about it will be allocated a suitable address for the network your connected to.

DougieLawson

Re: How to configure Raspberry Pi with 2 ip's for Fog_Project

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Have you thought about asking on the Fog Project's support forum at: https://fogproject.org/support?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Networking and servers”