patrick.cerny

Offline Lan and NAS Server to exchange Files

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Hey Guys!
My friends and I are visiting a coding-challenge, but at the challenge we probably wont have any Internet there.I have a Raspberry PI 4 4GB and a 2TB drive connected to it. I thought about hosting a Wlan and a Nas server, so we could just connect to it and directe use the NAS server to transfer our files. (A USB-Drive would be better and easier, but we probably wont sit directly next to eachother so transfering files would take longer than just throwing the files on a server) Did anybody ever do something like that? Please let me know if you have! :)
(Im sorry for my english, but Im trying my best :) )

Skraaj

Re: Offline Lan and NAS Server to exchange Files

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Check out my tutorial - https://codedoneright.eu/?page_id=596

You can mount any storage device (pendrive, additional sd) if you do not want to use a bulky hdd.
codedoneright.eu – newbie friendly raspberry tutorials

tpyo kingg

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Samba, as mentioned above, and several other classical NAS (file sharing) options exist, but might be overkill in this case. If the main purpose is coding then you might just run your designated version control system there and share code by checking it in.

Which version control system have you settled on?

patrick.cerny

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Skraaj wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm
Check out my tutorial - https://codedoneright.eu/?page_id=596

You can mount any storage device (pendrive, additional sd) if you do not want to use a bulky hdd.
Thanks for the quick answer, but will this work offline? As i said, we wont have any internet.Sure I could host it at home (which Ive already done before) but we wont be able to connect to it without internet. So i thought about hosting a WLan with the pi and then running the nas server on it. Do you have an idea how to do that?
Thanks!

patrick.cerny

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:54 pm

tpyo kingg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:38 pm
Samba, as mentioned above, and several other classical NAS (file sharing) options exist, but might be overkill in this case. If the main purpose is coding then you might just run your designated version control system there and share code by checking it in.

Which version control system have you settled on?
Also, thanks for the quick answer.
Im sorry but i dont really know what you mean. If you meant my OS, im running Rasbian. And we probably wont just transfer code but also whole scenes (unity - prefabs, models etc)
Thanks!

LTolledo

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:26 pm

How many RPis involved?
will you be using WiFi connection only?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

tpyo kingg

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:36 am

A version control system (or revision control system) tracks changes to programs and their accompanying files as you write them. They are considered an indispensable part of development these days. One key feature is the ability to track who made changes to what and when. Another key feature is the ability to merge changes automatically when two or more people end up working on the same file at the same time. The world seems to be settling in on Git, but there are merits in some of the others, too.

Git is available for Raspbian. It's not hard to use but like with the others there is a small learning curve at the beginning. However, the returns on effort make it very well worth getting to know. It will save you a lot of pain and effort over time. Additionally most employers will expect at least a basic level of familiarity with it or SVN or one of the others.

patrick.cerny

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:57 am

LTolledo wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:26 pm
How many RPis involved?
will you be using WiFi connection only?
Only 1 pi, and yes just wifi.
Thanks!

patrick.cerny

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:59 am

tpyo kingg wrote:
A version control system (or revision control system) tracks changes to programs and their accompanying files as you write them. They are considered an indispensable part of development these days. One key feature is the ability to track who made changes to what and when. Another key feature is the ability to merge changes automatically when two or more people end up working on the same file at the same time. The world seems to be settling in on Git, but there are merits in some of the others, too.

Git is available for Raspbian. It's not hard to use but like with the others there is a small learning curve at the beginning. However, the returns on effort make it very well worth getting to know. It will save you a lot of pain and effort over time. Additionally most employers will expect at least a basic level of familiarity with it or SVN or one of the others.
Ok, how would I add something to this to my programm?

tpyo kingg

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:05 am

I would start here,

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... d-with-git

https://www.instructables.com/id/GitPi- ... pberry-Pi/

but there are countless other tutorials for setting up Git and even more for using it.

Will you do your programming directly on the Raspberry Pi or on another machine and then transfer the results?

patrick.cerny

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:10 am

tpyo kingg wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:05 am
I would start here,

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... d-with-git

https://www.instructables.com/id/GitPi- ... pberry-Pi/

but there are countless other tutorials for setting up Git and even more for using it.

Will you do your programming directly on the Raspberry Pi or on another machine and then transfer the results?
Thanks alot, Ill take a look at those tutorialls at home, Im currently in school ;)
We will all code on our own Laptops, so no coding on the raspberry pi (we will use unity so its also not just coding)
Thanks again for the quick answers!

B.Goode

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:12 am

patrick.cerny wrote:
tpyo kingg wrote:

A version control process is not something you add to a program. You add it to your working practices, the tasks of modifying, testing and sharing revised versions of software or other documents.

It is a tool you can use during Software Development to allow the controlled sharing of files and sets of files. That was what you appeared to be asking for.

patrick.cerny

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 am

B.Goode wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:12 am
patrick.cerny wrote:
tpyo kingg wrote:

A version control process is not something you add to a program. You add it to your working practices, the tasks of modifying, testing and sharing revised versions of software or other documents.

It is a tool you can use during Software Development to allow the controlled sharing of files and sets of files. That was what you appeared to be asking for.
Yeah sorry thats what i meant, my bad english :/
Ill just take a look at a version control system and figure out how to use it :)
Thanks for your help :)

Return to “Networking and servers”