pine

Printing from Pi over local network

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:13 am

I'm trying to set up my recently purchased RPi 4 4GB with Raspbian from a NOOBS SD card to print on my Canon MG5650 printer which is connected to my network by wifi. I'm running the Pi headless and accessing via VNC Viewer on a Windows laptop.

I've seen several tutorials on the web about using CUPS and initially using instructions from https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ways-print-raspberry-pi/, I installed it with

sudo apt-get install cups-client

The tutorial says that a conflict file will be found at /etc/cups/client.conf but when I tried to find this file, I was told the directory does not exist. I eventually found it at /usr/share/doc/libcups/examples/client.conf. So I modified this file as per tutorial, inserting the printers IP Address in the appropriate place with

ServerName 192.168.0.19:631

The :631 was from another tutorial. Without this the printer is not found.

After a reboot, I tried printing from the Pi's Text Editor. The printer window pops up and - hurrah - it shows MG5600 Series printer is available. I select and click Print but get an error pop-up showing Error printing: HTTP Error in POST Success.

Interestingly after fiddling about a bit, I found that whether the client.conf file is modified or not, I get the same result, the printer is still recognised on the print window but the same error message pops up.

I've searched the forums but cannot find any reference to this error. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Printing from Pi over local network

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 am

pine wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:13 am
I'm trying to set up my recently purchased RPi 4 4GB with Raspbian from a NOOBS SD card to print on my Canon MG5650 printer which is connected to my network by wifi. I'm running the Pi headless and accessing via VNC Viewer on a Windows laptop.

I've seen several tutorials on the web about using CUPS and initially using instructions from https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ways-print-raspberry-pi/, I installed it with

sudo apt-get install cups-client

The tutorial says that a conflict file will be found at /etc/cups/client.conf but when I tried to find this file, I was told the directory does not exist. I eventually found it at /usr/share/doc/libcups/examples/client.conf. So I modified this file as per tutorial, inserting the printers IP Address in the appropriate place with

ServerName 192.168.0.19:631

The :631 was from another tutorial. Without this the printer is not found.

After a reboot, I tried printing from the Pi's Text Editor. The printer window pops up and - hurrah - it shows MG5600 Series printer is available. I select and click Print but get an error pop-up showing Error printing: HTTP Error in POST Success.

Interestingly after fiddling about a bit, I found that whether the client.conf file is modified or not, I get the same result, the printer is still recognised on the print window but the same error message pops up.

I've searched the forums but cannot find any reference to this error. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe ??

https://scruss.com/blog/2019/05/02/poss ... pberry-pi/
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

pine

Re: Printing from Pi over local network

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:12 pm

Many thanks, Fruit. The link you supplied helped me sort it out.

After doing the installs, the dialogue box for Menu/Preferences/Print Settings from the latest version of Raspbian is not exactly as the article describes but is close enough. Note the box needs to be unlocked by clicking on the Unlock button top right - log in password needed here. Also rather than use Generic drivers as the article recommends, I selected the ones for my Cannon printer - as this was auto selected. I also had to set Localisation from Menu/Preferences/Raspberry Pi Configuration to set the page size to A4 (otherwise the printer stalled and asked for Letter size to be used!)

Interestingly, when I print, I'm offered two printers - the Canon_MG5600_series and the Canon_MG5600_series_Printer_WS_via_VNC. Both work the same. I'm presuming the latter will only be there if I log in via VNC.

Once again, many thanks.

Return to “Networking and servers”