davef

3B+, Buster and 3G dongle unwanted data usage

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 am

I run a Pi with a Huawei E8231 3g dongle. Once a day, at a specific time I connect to the internet, send a100KB data file and then disconnect.

It will go for weeks using about 100kB a day on a 500MB/month data plan. Then one day 500MB of data disappears during the 24 hour off-internet period. Looking in syslog there is nothing apparent.

The ISP have told me that they can not tell me how my E8231 (Wingle) uses this data. I have read that Huawei do not do firmware upgrades on these devices.

Any suggestions how I could tell what is happening when the device is not connected to the internet would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

pcmanbob

Re: 3B+, Buster and 3G dongle unwanted data usage

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Well if the dongle was definitely disconnected during the time you suspect 500MB of data disappeared then I can't see how it could be the fault of the pi .

The only way I can see for the pi to have used the data is for it to have been connected to the internet when it was not supposed to be,
or may be its been sending data in the background each time you connected and it just mounted up over time, but I guess you would noticed the extra data use on the bill.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

davef

Re: 3B+, Buster and 3G dongle unwanted data usage

Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:36 pm

I can't see how it is the Pi either, but was hoping that someone here may have experienced a similar problem.

Cheers,
Dave

Return to “Networking and servers”