mccartjt

Recycling Older HP LaserJet Printers IOS /Windows WORKING GREAT! See Last Post

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:26 pm

I'm researching how to get a classic HP 5000 Laserjet Printer working on my home network. My HP Printer does not support a wireless network card but does support a 10/100BT network card. There are 10's of thousands of decent older solid printers out there that could be re-purposed back into production. I'd like to be able to print from Windows machines Iphones & Android devices

Most important objects to achieve here is

1) Get Windows machines printing
2) Get IOS phones printing
3) Get Android phones printing
In the above order..

Here's my experience so far.

1) Sudo apt-get install hplib had no effect (this older HP Printer isn't supported)
2) Buy a HP620N jet direct card and install that
3) Either set the Raspberry Pi up as either

A) Router
or
B) A network Bridge

I've RP 2 with a working WiFi dongle & the Ethernet connection..

If an administrator sees this post (and I've posted in the wrong location,) please move this posting to the correct forum
If someone has already tackled this issue, then please point me in the correct direction? I did search the forums but my search may not have been totally & completely exhaustive in this regard..

Thanks for any help!

JM
Last edited by mccartjt on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Recycling Older HP LaserJet Printers Cleverly? IOS /Windoze & Android

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:48 am

mccartjt wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:26 pm
I'm researching how to get a classic HP 5000 Laserjet Printer working on my home network. My HP Printer does not support a wireless network card but does support a 10/100BT network card. There are 10's of thousands of decent older solid printers out there that could be re-purposed back into production. I'd like to be able to print from Windows machines Iphones & Android devices

Most important objects to achieve here is

1) Get Windows machines printing
2) Get IOS phones printing
3) Get Android phones printing
In the above order..

Here's my experience so far.

1) Sudo apt-get install hplib had no effect (this older HP Printer isn't supported)
2) Buy a HP620N jet direct card and install that
3) Either set the Raspberry Pi up as either

A) Router
or
B) A network Bridge

I've RP 2 with a working WiFi dongle & the Ethernet connection..

If an administrator sees this post (and I've posted in the wrong location,) please move this posting to the correct forum
If someone has already tackled this issue, then please point me in the correct direction? I did search the forums but my search may not have been totally & completely exhaustive in this regard..

Thanks for any help!

JM

It is HPLIP and your printer is supported:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... 000_series

Raspbian Buster with Desktop:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install hplip cups system-config-printer

system-config-printer is a GUI for CUPS and an easier way to set up Printers.......
Retired disgracefully.....

mccartjt

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:06 am

Hi Fruit of the Loom

I did manage to get the RPi to print one time. Yet with this being a RPi 2nd version, I thinking that to get it to run "CUPS & Samba" it may be too much for it to cope with.

Would I be better served with using the RPi as a wireless to ethernet bridge and then installing a physical Jet Direct print card? So that the Pi becomes a bridge & has less work with only passing traffic? There would be two separate issues here.

1) The HP Jet Direct would be advertising its services to the network
2) The RPi being only a bridge would seemlessly installed (and) invisible in Microsoft world
3) Would I just be flat out better off to get an RP3 (Or 4) to get the extra horsepower to get CUPS (& Samba) working for the iPhones (Androids) to print too

I really appreciate your input..

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:34 am

mccartjt wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:06 am
Hi Fruit of the Loom

I did manage to get the RPi to print one time. Yet with this being a RPi 2nd version, I thinking that to get it to run "CUPS & Samba" it may be too much for it to cope with.

Would I be better served with using the RPi as a wireless to ethernet bridge and then installing a physical Jet Direct print card? So that the Pi becomes a bridge & has less work with only passing traffic? There would be two separate issues here.

1) The HP Jet Direct would be advertising its services to the network
2) The RPi being only a bridge would seemlessly installed (and) invisible in Microsoft world
3) Would I just be flat out better off to get an RP3 (Or 4) to get the extra horsepower to get CUPS (& Samba) working for the iPhones (Androids) to print too

I really appreciate your input..

I have a HP Envy 4500 series Wireless ePrinter so have no experience of running a Print Server on my Raspberry Pi 2B v1.1, but see no reason why it is not up to the task as users have used the Zeros as Print Servers.

Considering an entry level new HP Pro MFP M28w are under £100.00 is it worth spending money on your ancient Printer ?

HP Wireless ePrinters are supported in Windows 10, Android, iOS, Google Cloud Print as well as by HPLIP....
Retired disgracefully.....

mccartjt

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:58 pm

I thought I'd update this request, since I've been out of town for a week.

I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6PWYZScZk

& I followed it carefully and now I've a great "Classic printer" working with RP2! It is flawless so far! I am absolutely thrilled to have all three windows machines printing wonderfully on this HP4000 printer. (I have two printers & I was in error trying to get it to install the wrong driver) yet it is still tricky to get this to work flawlessly.

The secret is to get RPi to print well first off and then follow the above Youtube video to get the client side to be able to send print jobs to networked printer.

I did actually learn quite a great deal from this exercise about printing with CUPS etc and getting updates to work..

I now have a solid wireless printer working and its working well.

&

I went here

https://www.geekonthepc.com/2016/07/10/ ... 0-minutes/

and I got the printer to be able to print from my iPhone too! Super THRILLED! WOW. This works!! & I've not thrown a good working printer away into the trash! Everyone has won!

Return to “Networking and servers”