davef

Internet data usage, Jessie versus Stretch

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:32 am

I have two Pi B+, one running Jessie and the other Stretch. They both have 3G USB dongles attached which I use for remote data collection.

Once a day I bring up an internet connection, send 50-100KB worth of data and then take down the internet connection. The unit running Jessie has worked well for the last year or so.

The problem I am having with the unit running Stretch is that when I connect to the internet it seems to download 5-30MB of who knows what … as well as sending the data.

Looking through the syslog I noticed calls to apt-daily.timer and apt-daily.service, so after reading several suggestions these have been stopped by purging unattended-upgrades. I don’t see anything in cron.daily/hourly/weekly.

Is there something else that I need to disable?

Thank you.

Dave

pws

Re: Internet data usage, Jessie versus Stretch

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:02 pm

davef wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:32 am

Is there something else that I need to disable?
Jessie and Stretch.....

davef

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 am

I am NOT about to bin ALL the work I have done getting to this stage. The only logical conclusion to your brief statement, that I can see, is that maybe Stretch has to go and I revert to Jessie on both units.

However, I am quite keen to figure out what is actually not working on the Stretch install.

Subsequent work after disabling apt-daily.timer and apt-daily.service ... I have noticed that syslog still showed calls to apt-daily.timer and apt-daily.service. I don't know if any data was actually downloaded off the internet.

Found another tutorial talking another timer called apt-daily-upgrade.timer and apt-daily-upgrade.service From previous work removing <unattended-upgrades> and assuming that nothing would be done without my permission I deleted apt-daily-upgrade.timer and .service as well.

Then I did:
sudo systemctl list-timers --all

I now all see is a timer for cleaning temporary files etc.

However, connected back to the internet and at some random time more data sucked-out without my permission.

This "unwanted internet data" must be a real issue for people running MQTT or cloud-based applications.

DirkS

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:56 am

davef wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 am
The only logical conclusion to your brief statement, that I can see, is that maybe Stretch has to go and I revert to Jessie on both units.
I think the conclusion is not to waste too much time on either of them and try to use the current version (Buster)

Return to “Networking and servers”