prendati

NAS-like Pi 4 server

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi Guys!

I was wondering if I could make a NAS-like machine using a Pi 4 (a 2GB version, maybe, if it's enough for this task). Is there any facility that behaves like eg. a Synology DiskStation? I mean I would like to use the Pi 4 as a download station, I would like to play media from it through my laptop (1080p videos, pictures...), reach the files stored on the Pi 4 from my smartphone (through a website or an app maybe), set a username and password for reaching it's content and so on. At last, is there any web browser extension that behaves like Synology's Download Station?

Thank You for helping me, have a nice day!

Andyroo

Re: NAS-like Pi 4 server

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:24 pm

You could have a look at https://www.openmediavault.org/features.html and check the plug in at https://www.openmediavault.org/?page_id=2014

Given the price difference I would go for the 4Gb version - even if you do not need it now you may find in the future you need it and unlike a PC (well some), you cannot upgrade the memory. Worse case you buy a smaller one and swap the boards over :lol:

If you want to try the Pi first, you could use Samba as a file share - it’s not a media centre etc but simple to set up to see how your network and Pi manage your file needs.

prendati

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Thank you for the tip, I'm going to think a bit of it, but the 4GB version is a bit tastier for me too, soooo.. :D Thanks again, I'll look for it!

default_user8

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 pm

prendati wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 pm
Thank you for the tip, I'm going to think a bit of it, but the 4GB version is a bit tastier for me too, soooo.. :D Thanks again, I'll look for it!
If you would prefer a dropbox type solution try nextcloudpi
https://ownyourbits.com/nextcloudpi/
I've been using it for a couple years now as the base for my home NAS and it works like a charm, i'd also like to point out that I'm running nextcloudpi, plex media server, and RPI-Monitor on a 1gb board and only use on average 480mb of memory. 4GB is nice but not needed in my experience.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

Andyroo

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:33 am

default_user8 wrote:
...i'd also like to point out that I'm running nextcloudpi, plex media server, and RPI-Monitor on a 1gb board and only use on average 480mb of memory. 4GB is nice but not needed in my experience.
Does not surprise me - a lot seems to depend on disk size and format. ZFS is a RAM hog but ext-4 seems happy to chug along with virtually nothing. Have you tried any RAID solutions?

default_user8

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:14 am

Andyroo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:33 am
default_user8 wrote:
...i'd also like to point out that I'm running nextcloudpi, plex media server, and RPI-Monitor on a 1gb board and only use on average 480mb of memory. 4GB is nice but not needed in my experience.
Does not surprise me - a lot seems to depend on disk size and format. ZFS is a RAM hog but ext-4 seems happy to chug along with virtually nothing. Have you tried any RAID solutions?
No I have not tried RAID yet, I'm actually not even using a raspberry pi anymore for that particular setup. I switched over to a Rock64 board a few months back to gain the advantage of the gigabit ethernet and the USB3 port(the pi 4 hadn't hit the market yet). I started out with 2 1TB drives(ext4), one as my main drive, and one as a mirror of the first for redundancy(via a rsync cron job every Monday morning at 0300). My 1TB drive is almost full so I'll need to switch to bigger drives soon, at which point i'll probably investigate using a RAID setup for redundancy. The bulk of my data is picture storage for my wife, which is why i'm running the plex server so she can view the pictures on the smart tv in the living room.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

Return to “Networking and servers”