moisemust

[Solved] Pi hole on magic mirror

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm moving soon and thought I'd make a smart mirror for my new flat. I already bought the hardware (a raspberry pi 3b I had no use for and an hp monitor I got from Amazon with a big discount). I'll hold off until I move to buy the 2 way mirror and build it but I already configured everything so I'll just have to build it once I moved.

At the moment I'm running Pi-Hole off a raspberry pi 2 and thought why not move it on the magic mirror. So I tried installing pi hole on my unfinished magic mirror but it looks like it breaks the mirror's connectivity, which works again with hiccups once I uninstall pi hole. For safety I imaged my mirror's SD card before trying Pi-Hole so I wouldn't have to start from scratch if it broke anything.

Any advice? Knowing that the raspberry pi 3b I used has a voice hat I salvaged from the aiy kit given away for free with the magpi about 2 years ago (don't really know what to do with it but I thought I could add voice commands in the future).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by moisemust on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moisemust

Re: Pi hole on magic mirror

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:53 am

OK I saw a reddit post for a similar project, started from scratch as suggested and installed Pi Hole first, THEN the magic mirror software.

It seems to be working properly.

Return to “Networking and servers”