Dogga85

Wake on LAN server

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:13 am

Hi All,

I've been thinking and I'd love to be able to get a Raspberry Pi and use it as a Wake on LAN server for my PC when I know Sonarr is scheduled to download episodes etc rather then just turning my PC on in the morning and leaving it on all day. I would also love it to just play around with and learn Linux as well. Is setting it up as a WoL sever easy enough? Any walk throughs that anyone knows of? Also might as well use it for network monitoring etc while its sitting there doing nothing.

rpdom

Re: Wake on LAN server

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:27 am

Waking up a PC that is configured for Wake On LAN is as easy as installing the "wakeonlan" package and issuing the command "wakeonlan AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF" at the correct time, replacing the letters with the MAC address of the PC in question.
Yes, I do block a very small number of people.

No, I'm not going to name them. That would be childish.

Dogga85

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:34 am

Thanks heaps. Can you use it to create a script with a schedule for WOL? I can then just set the PC power settings to auto shut off after say 2 hours. Also what OS is that package on? Rasparian?

B.Goode

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:51 am

Dogga85 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:34 am
Thanks heaps. Can you use it to create a script with a schedule for WOL? I can then just set the PC power settings to auto shut off after say 2 hours. Also what OS is that package on? Rasparian?

Yes, you can create a scheduled activity using the cron scheduler.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation supported Operating System is Raspbian.

Return to “Networking and servers”