xunil76

NAS for IP camera streams

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking at setting up a Pi as a NAS with an external USB hard drive, to be used as a storage device for 5 security camera streams at 1080p. As long as I'm using the cameras' built-in h.264 encoding chip and motion detection, and just using the Pi NAS as a storage device only, is it possible that the Pi NAS will be able to handle 5 of those camera streams?

I know that it does not have enough horsepower to actually perform the encoding and the motion detection using the Pi, but if all that is offloaded onto the cameras themselves, I would hope it should be able to handle it?

In addition to this, I'm thinking about setting up a 2nd Pi to serve as a video playback device and/or file uploader, which would be responsible for syncing the saved video files to an online storage service...any recommendations on what software package to use for such a thing?

default_user8

Re: NAS for IP camera streams

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:23 am

You can start here for the NAS part, nextcloudpi will do all that you are asking.
https://ownyourbits.com/nextcloudpi/
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

xunil76

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 am

what about the part about handling 5 camera recording streams (1080p/30)? is the Pi up to the task of that many streams? again, keep in mind the cameras will be handling the video encoding and motion detection, so the Pi only needs to get the encoded video files saved onto the USB storage.

i know the ethernet port on the Pi 3 B+ is "gigabit", but shares the USB bus, and has a max transfer speed of around 300Mbit/sec. it will need to be able to handle not only the encoded video streams being recorded onto the USB hard drive from the cameras, but also reading those files back out to be uploaded to the internet at the same time.

default_user8

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:08 am

I can't answer that question for certain, you will need to set it up and run it for a while an see for yourself. Not knocking the raspberry pi at all here, but i've moved on from the raspberry pi to the rock64, it has dedicated gigabit lan, faster memory, and a usb3 port. I ran nextcloud from a 3 B without any issues for quite a while, even streaming video over the internet on a 100/10 Mbs connection without buffering. I started out on a 1B running plex media server over my local lan to 3 smart tv's. The raspberry pi is a very capable board, and your setup seems cheap and easy to set up and run for a test.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

do2651

Sat May 23, 2020 4:49 pm

How did this go? Did you ever test it out? I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but with 2 cameras.

xunil76

Sun May 24, 2020 5:49 pm

do2651 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:49 pm
How did this go? Did you ever test it out? I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but with 2 cameras.
so i did give it a try with a single camera, and i'm not sure if it was just the model of the camera that i was using, or what...i could get the camera to see the storage and record to it, but i could never figure out how to go back and view the footage that was recorded, because it was in the camera's proprietary video format. i would have liked to have figured it out, but it was a setup for my mom's house that i was doing, and it was taking so much time to figure things out that they were getting antsy about just getting the system online & operational, so i ended up getting them a premade NVR from the same company as the cameras that they got, and all seems to be working well for them now.

Return to “Networking and servers”