lfurze

Ad-hoc network without internet

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:29 am

I'd like to use a pi zero connected to a ultrasonic sensor to monitor water level in a tank and broadcast the info to another pi in my home. Ideally, I want to do this without internet.

Is it possible to use the tank pi to create an ad-hoc network that can be accessed by the house pi, and send the feedback from the sensor once every 24 hours? The house pi would display the received info, for example on an e-ink screen.

There are devices available that do basically this exact thing, but I have a couple of pi zeroes going unused and a curious mind ...

Any suggestions welcome!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Ad-hoc network without internet

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:41 pm

lfurze wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:29 am
I'd like to use a pi zero connected to a ultrasonic sensor to monitor water level in a tank and broadcast the info to another pi in my home. Ideally, I want to do this without internet.

Is it possible to use the tank pi to create an ad-hoc network that can be accessed by the house pi, and send the feedback from the sensor once every 24 hours? The house pi would display the received info, for example on an e-ink screen.

There are devices available that do basically this exact thing, but I have a couple of pi zeroes going unused and a curious mind ...

Any suggestions welcome!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md
Retired disgracefully.....

lfurze

Re: Ad-hoc network without internet

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Thanks I'll give that a whirl.

The next step, assuming I get the first step working, will be the communication between the two devices. After some spurious googling I'm thinking of setting up the pis with MQTT using mosquitto and paho to run a python script which updates the tank water level daily. Having never used any of these things before though I could be way off... Again, suggestions welcome!

Return to “Networking and servers”