xXSantyXx

NAS Server Project

Thu May 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Hello, i am thinking about building a system at home to store some files, mostly photography and video, using a raspberry PI 3 B+ with some NAS software installed, and attaching a hard drive like 4TB on it, and make it accessible at home (for now i want to access it at home only, but remotely later if possible) but i have some questions. I Saw that the latest RPI has POE, but do i need to have a POE hat or can i just stick a powered Rj45 into the RPI and will it work? If yes, is it enough to power the system?
I was looking for someone who have done something similar to give me some tips on which software to install, how to install and power a hard drive and giving it power if neccesary, and how to make it accessible on my local network. I had messed up with wifi ip cameras and i never figured out properly how to prevent their ip adresses not to change after i restart my router or something similar, do i need any feature in special on my router to make my RPI adress static? my router is a HUAWEI B310s-22.

Thank you in advance.

Andyroo

Re: NAS Server Project

Thu May 16, 2019 3:08 pm

For power I would just use the official power supply from a reputable dealer. It will save a lot of grief...
Get a good case for the Pi - a single staple can fry them if they short out.
Make sure the USB drive has its own power supply (it will get a ground to the Pi from the USB port).

Software wise:
https://nextcloud.com for a full 'all singing / dancing' solution
Samba can also be used if you just need to share files and printers (printers optional) - its simple to set up

For a static IP address you will need to see if the router has an admin screen to set the address range and set static IP addresses.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

xXSantyXx

Thu May 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:08 pm
For power I would just use the official power supply from a reputable dealer. It will save a lot of grief...
Get a good case for the Pi - a single staple can fry them if they short out.
Make sure the USB drive has its own power supply (it will get a ground to the Pi from the USB port).

Software wise:
https://nextcloud.com for a full 'all singing / dancing' solution
Samba can also be used if you just need to share files and printers (printers optional) - its simple to set up

For a static IP address you will need to see if the router has an admin screen to set the address range and set static IP addresses.
Thanks a lot for your help. I will probably stick with the official power supply yeah, since they're relatively cheap.
What would you recommend for a good case? I was thinking about 3d printing one, do you think i need a case with a fan?
I have a usb powered HUB maybe i can use it. Maybe i will try it on my actual RPI.
About the router i will have to check it this weekend.

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 16, 2019 3:22 pm

xXSantyXx wrote:
Hello, i am thinking about building a system at home to store some files, mostly photography and video, using a raspberry PI 3 B+ with some NAS software installed, and attaching a hard drive like 4TB on it, and make it accessible at home (for now i want to access it at home only, but remotely later if possible) but i have some questions. I Saw that the latest RPI has POE, but do i need to have a POE hat or can i just stick a powered Rj45 into the RPI and will it work? If yes, is it enough to power the system?
I was looking for someone who have done something similar to give me some tips on which software to install, how to install and power a hard drive and giving it power if neccesary, and how to make it accessible on my local network. I had messed up with wifi ip cameras and i never figured out properly how to prevent their ip adresses not to change after i restart my router or something similar, do i need any feature in special on my router to make my RPI adress static? my router is a HUAWEI B310s-22.

Thank you in advance.

PoE will require an Injector to send power to the Raspberry Pi 3B+ PoE input:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introd ... t-poe-hat/

You need to be careful what voltage the Injector is sending:

There are various standards of PoE; this HAT uses the most common standard 802.3af, which allows delivery of up to 15W.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

xXSantyXx

Thu May 16, 2019 3:24 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
xXSantyXx wrote:

Thank you in advance.

There are various standards of PoE; this HAT uses the most common standard 802.3af, which allows delivery of up to 15W.
Thank you for your help, but i will still use the original power supply, since it is much cheaper.

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 pm

xXSantyXx wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
xXSantyXx wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your help, but i will still use the original power supply, since it is much cheaper.

Regards your 4TB drive whether or not you can power with or without a USB3 Hub depends on what other USB Devices you have plugged in and the start up power of the drive.

The maximum USB power (not per port) is 1200mA....
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Andyroo

Thu May 16, 2019 3:31 pm

xXSantyXx wrote:
Thanks a lot for your help. I will probably stick with the official power supply yeah, since they're relatively cheap.
What would you recommend for a good case? I was thinking about 3d printing one, do you think i need a case with a fan?
I have a usb powered HUB maybe i can use it. Maybe i will try it on my actual RPI.
Just watch out - some hubs have back fed power to the Pi and fried them. I go directly from the drives to the USB on the Pi and use a disk with an external power brick or built in mains supply.

Cases are a wonderful market to spend days surfing over! I do not use a fan but my machines are not loaded and I live in the UK so warmth is a rare thing here :lol: I bought into the SB Components PI Shell kickstarter as I liked the mix and match colours but they are now available from https://sb-components.co.uk/pi-shell.html To be honest, as long as it protects the Pi from fingers / short and you can get the cables in select any to start with as you can monitor the temperature and get it to flash a light or send you a message if it gets too warm - then invest in a fan if needed.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

xXSantyXx

Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 pm
xXSantyXx wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Regards your 4TB drive whether or not you can power with or without a USB3 Hub depends on what other USB Devices you have plugged in and the start up power of the drive.

The maximum USB power (not per port) is 1200mA....
yeah i dont plan to have more USb devices besides the Hard drive, except the mouse and keyboard for initial setup of course.
Andyroo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:31 pm
xXSantyXx wrote:
Just watch out - some hubs have back fed power to the Pi and fried them. I go directly from the drives to the USB on the Pi and use a disk with an external power brick or built in mains supply.

Cases are a wonderful market to spend days surfing over! I do not use a fan but my machines are not loaded and I live in the UK so warmth is a rare thing here :lol: I bought into the SB Components PI Shell kickstarter as I liked the mix and match colours but they are now available from https://sb-components.co.uk/pi-shell.html To be honest, as long as it protects the Pi from fingers / short and you can get the cables in select any to start with as you can monitor the temperature and get it to flash a light or send you a message if it gets too warm - then invest in a fan if needed.
Maybe it will be a good idea to have a dedicated power supply for the hard drive then. Is there anything simple and cheap that's able to power it without having to use an external case with power supply built in or a big brick? like idk a sata cable with 2 USB ends?

Return to “Networking and servers”