Page 1 of 1

Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:29 pm
by sticklerer
Hi! I want to connect to a wifi network and host a wifi network at the same time on a Raspberry Pi 3 A+ using Raspbian stretch.
Is this possible ?

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm
by Andyroo
You will need to add another WiFi card via USB for this.

Just check that the dongle works with the Pi - possibly look at the official suppliers rather than cheaper alternatives that just say a whole series of computers in their listing.

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:10 pm
by sticklerer
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm
You will need to add another WiFi card via USB for this.

Just check that the dongle works with the Pi - possibly look at the official suppliers rather than cheaper alternatives that just say a whole series of computers in their listing.
I have a TP-LINK wifi dongle. How can i check it's work with pi or not ?

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:20 pm
by Andyroo
It all depends on the chip set inside the dongle.

First thing is to find the exact module of dongle and then search on the forum here for others with the same model for the fix process. Unfortunately TP-Link boxes often need a specific driver - for example https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 48#p433048

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:44 pm
by sticklerer
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:20 pm
It all depends on the chip set inside the dongle.

First thing is to find the exact module of dongle and then search on the forum here for others with the same model for the fix process. Unfortunately TP-Link boxes often need a specific driver - for example https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 48#p433048

I searched for this model (TL-WN821N V.4/ RTL8192CU) on forum but i didn't find any topic from this version.

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:45 pm
by fruitoftheloom
sticklerer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:10 pm
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm
You will need to add another WiFi card via USB for this.

Just check that the dongle works with the Pi - possibly look at the official suppliers rather than cheaper alternatives that just say a whole series of computers in their listing.
I have a TP-LINK wifi dongle. How can i check it's work with pi or not ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=62371

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:00 pm
by sticklerer
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:45 pm
sticklerer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:10 pm
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm
You will need to add another WiFi card via USB for this.

Just check that the dongle works with the Pi - possibly look at the official suppliers rather than cheaper alternatives that just say a whole series of computers in their listing.
I have a TP-LINK wifi dongle. How can i check it's work with pi or not ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=62371
This driver installer doesen't have the driver what i need . But thanks the link .

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 pm
by Andyroo
Strange, this post https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... ?p=1260237 uses that dongle as the AP.

As for setting up the link - that’s beyond my networking skills I’m afraid :lol:

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:19 pm
by sticklerer
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 pm
Strange, this post https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... ?p=1260237 uses that dongle as the AP.

As for setting up the link - that’s beyond my networking skills I’m afraid :lol:
He is using V5 of dongle,but i try this method maybe it's work with the v4 too.

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:26 pm
by sticklerer
sticklerer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:19 pm
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 pm
Strange, this post https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... ?p=1260237 uses that dongle as the AP.

As for setting up the link - that’s beyond my networking skills I’m afraid :lol:
He is using V5 of dongle,but i try this method maybe it's work with the v4 too.
Installer doesen't have the drivers for my device (RTL8192CU).Maybe because it's version 4 and not 5.

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm
by Andyroo
Just thought - if you have WLAN1 does that not mean it’s been recognised :shock:

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:40 pm
by sticklerer
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm
Just thought - if you have WLAN1 does that not mean it’s been recognised :shock:
Yes i didn't think it,that's the reason why i edited the comment befor 5 minutes . :|

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm
by Andyroo
Their are instructions for setting up an AP on github using the Ethernet port that may work for you with care but my networking is not good enough to walk you through it or debugging issues :oops:

I’m not sure these standard instructions https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md still work but it’s been so long since I abandoned that project I’ve lost the updated link. A QUICK check points me to https://github.com/XECDesign/documentat ... s-point.md

I do not think that just changing ETH0 to WLAN1 will work as you need to connect one WiFi to the existing network and I’ve not seen any notes on how to do this. Really wish I did a networking course before starting the python set I’m going through :lol:

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 pm
by sticklerer
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm
Their are instructions for setting up an AP on github using the Ethernet port that may work for you with care but my networking is not good enough to walk you through it or debugging issues :oops:

I’m not sure these standard instructions https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md still work but it’s been so long since I abandoned that project I’ve lost the updated link. A QUICK check points me to https://github.com/XECDesign/documentat ... s-point.md

I do not think that just changing ETH0 to WLAN1 will work as you need to connect one WiFi to the existing network and I’ve not seen any notes on how to do this. Really wish I did a networking course before starting the python set I’m going through :lol:
Thank you for trying to help me with this project.Tomorrow i will try to make something from the link you send ,maybe i can get the wifi network work . :D

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:58 pm
by Andyroo
Good luck :)

A quick read (your fault I’m now intrigued) seem to show you add a name into the network details in wpa supplicant and then link this to the IP address and device name in the dhcpcd config but how you get the IP tables set up etc looses me very quickly.

Tempted to play but I’ve only got a zero free at the mo and despite having two spare dongles I've no hub at home :lol:

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 pm
by fruitoftheloom
sticklerer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:44 pm
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:20 pm
It all depends on the chip set inside the dongle.

First thing is to find the exact module of dongle and then search on the forum here for others with the same model for the fix process. Unfortunately TP-Link boxes often need a specific driver - for example https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 48#p433048

I searched for this model (TL-WN821N V.4/ RTL8192CU) on forum but i didn't find any topic from this version.

RTL8192 should be supported in Raspbian Stretch by default.

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:10 pm
by Andyroo
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 pm
...
RTL8192 should be supported in Raspbian Stretch by default.
Think we got past that bit in the end :lol: The next problem (setting it up) is beyond me and despite having a quick surf it’s not an area I can learn in a couple of days.

Re: Wifi host and use in same time

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm
by fruitoftheloom
Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:10 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 pm
...
RTL8192 should be supported in Raspbian Stretch by default.
Think we got past that bit in the end :lol: The next problem (setting it up) is beyond me and despite having a quick surf it’s not an area I can learn in a couple of days.

It possibly could be that the included driver / firmware does not support access point mode ?