RPi_Zero

Wired connection...

Sun May 05, 2019 11:15 pm

I would like to connect my 3B+ and/or Zero W to my laptop without a wireless connection and control it like you would SSH and VNC. Sometimes I want to show off my projects but can't connect to the network where I am without a monitor (big, bulky, non-portable). I see USB expansion boards that allows you to plug the Pi directly into your computer. Or some people use Ethernet cables (but the Zero W doesn't connect to Ethernet). Any help would be great. Thanks.

default_user8

Re: Wired connection...

Sun May 05, 2019 11:27 pm

This will give you an ethernet port for your pizero.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-OTG- ... Swf~ZZbQdX
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

PhatFil

Mon May 06, 2019 2:18 am

B.Goode

Mon May 06, 2019 7:36 am

Another option is to configure the RPiZero to present a virtual Ethernet interface on its usb connection: https://gist.github.com/gbaman/975e2db1 ... e45e8fd40a

But I'm curious as to why you discount WiFi as a possible solution?

RPi_Zero

Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm

I can't use a regular WIFI network because there is not always a WIFI network available where I live and sometimes just don't know the passcode/username to connect it if I am in a friends house and want to show it off. AND if I did know all the passcodes and usernames, I can't tell the Pi to connect to that network without dragging along a monitor. I am very familiar with using SSH and VNC.

B.Goode

Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm

RPi_Zero wrote:
I can't use a regular WIFI network because there is not always a WIFI network available where I live and sometimes just don't know the passcode/username to connect it if I am in a friends house and want to show it off. AND if I did know all the passcodes and usernames, I can't tell the Pi to connect to that network without dragging along a monitor. I am very familiar with using SSH and VNC.

You could set up your own portable WiFi hotspot/access-point (AP) on either the RPi3 or the RPiZero. Because you own and manage it you will know the configuration details to use with the other devices which could therefore also be preconfigured to associate with the AP, so you don't need any monitor or keyboard 'in the field'.

Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

RPi_Zero

Mon May 06, 2019 8:48 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm
RPi_Zero wrote:

You could set up your own portable WiFi hotspot/access-point (AP) on either the RPi3 or the RPiZero. Because you own and manage it you will know the configuration details to use with the other devices which could therefore also be preconfigured to associate with the AP, so you don't need any monitor or keyboard 'in the field'.

Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md
Thank you! I'll have to see how it works for me!

Return to “Networking and servers”