Toontje

Management interface for network services?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:17 pm

I just bought myself a Pi3 with a small screen. The idea is to use this Pi as a network appliance which will provide DHCP, DNS (dnsmasq), AMQP, MQTT (RabbitMQ/Mosquitto), REST endpoint (Apache) and more.
This appliance will be used to quickly set up a classroom or lab network where i only would need the physical infrastructure (switch and cables) and the Pi would provide all the networking services.
Because i don't know what the environment will be where i will be using this appliance i bought the screen on top of the Pi case with the idea being that there i show some system stats (most important current IP address), but ideally i would like to have an interface (curses, web, whatever) where i can do things like: switch DHCP on/off, configure the Pi's IP address, the DHCP range, switch services like AMQP, MQTT and Apache on/off. A bit like what Portainer.io is for Docker, but then for the local OS.
Does anyone know of an interface like that?

B.Goode

Re: Management interface for network services?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:28 pm

The raspi-config utility might provide an example of what is possible.

It is a shell script stored at /usr/bin/raspi-config.

It is a plain text file that can be inspected or modified with any text editor. It uses a library called whiptail to provide the text-mode graphic interface.

Toontje

Re: Management interface for network services?

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:25 am

Good thinking!! I'll look in to that.

I tried Webmin, but on a screen this small it's terrible. ;-)

Return to “Networking and servers”