juan__carmona

Media Center + Owncloud + Apache2 + bind9 + Pi-Hole

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:35 am

Hello, I need to develop a project for my Higher Level Training Cycle's final work about management of computers in networks.

First of all, sorry for any mistake at typing, English is not my first language.

My idea is doing a server where I can upload any kind of media content from any device such as IPads, Mobiles, PCs, etc... And play/watch that content on my TV or any device.

For the part of uploading the media I could use owncloud. I would like to know if there is any program that could do the part of playing/watching (remotely), I think I would have to do it by streaming, Am I wrong? Furthermore, I would need to know If I could change the path from where it takes the media and redirect to my folders created on owncloud, so it could get the music, films, photos, etc directly.

Then I would configure bind9 with its respective aliases for every site.
For example:
- owncloud: owncloud.raspserver.com
- media center: media.raspserver.com
- Pi-Hole's administration page (I think it has one, based in the tutorials-guides that I read) : pi.raspserver.com

To end I would like to implement Pi-Hole to my Raspberry Pi server so my devices won't get any ads in the net. I would need to use Raspberry Server's static IP as DNS in my devices.

I would also like to ask If Raspbian comes without GUI, I would like to work without one.

I know that my explanation is not the best since it is not my main language, but I would like to ask if all that I wrote is possible to do. Thanks in advance, have a good day :)

RaspTom

Re: Media Center + Owncloud + Apache2 + bind9 + Pi-Hole

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:43 pm

This sounds like a good plan. But please use Nextcloud instead of the outdated owncloud. Nextcloud fully open source, more secure, faster and has more features.

DarrenHill

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Agreed concerning Nextcloud - runs fine on my Pi3 server at home.

If you want to go headless or at least without GUI, then you can consider either Raspbian Lite or something like DietPi.

One other option to maybe think about is basing things around Docker, and HypriotOS. Although there getting the various containers to talk to one another might be somewhat of a challenge for a new user.

default_user8

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:47 pm

Start with Nextcloudpi and then add plexmediaserver if your not happy with playing files directly from Nextcloud, then finish it up with pihole. Dietpi would be the least amount of CLI work since you just pick what you want to install and it pretty much takes it from there.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

Return to “Networking and servers”