CloudOne

Indoor positioning system using Rpi as AP

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Hello everyone :D ,

I'm planning to make an Indoor positioning system for a project I have to do for university. I have been researching on the Internet several ways to do it and what I think it comes more clear for me has been the fact of using trilateration using 3 Rpi and a mobile.

I think that one way to do it is by configuring 3 Rpi as AP, then using Python to determine the point they have in common in order to detect the mobile.

I also found that you can use either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth but I'm not that sure which could be better for this project because I've read that in terms of RSSI both are a bit inaccurate.

I haven't done anything like this before because I'm a bit newbie so I ask you guys if this is a good approach and how I can address it.

Thanks in advance!

drgeoff

Re: Indoor positioning system using Rpi as AP

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:05 pm

You haven't said what sort of accuracy you require and what area you need to cover. Wi-Fi signal strength within a building is affected by other factors in addition to distance so triangulation based on relative signal strength is not entirely reliable. And even if you had a very directional antenna on the mobile, the apparent direction to an AP can be skewed by a reflected path having a stronger signal than the direct path.

Gavinmc42

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 am

Have a look at the new Bluetooth 5.1.
There is a nice video that explains the new location stuff coming this year.

Indoor accuracy is hard to do currently.
Is it just one room all the whole Uni?

Drone testing rooms have cameras in all corners.
Laser range finders are now cheap and can measure distance to wall etc.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

CloudOne

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Sorry if I didn't specify but in terms of accuracy I would like to start with something small like a room and then scale it to something bigger like a building. As I said I would like to use 3 Raspberry Pi 3 model B so I assume my possibilities are Wi-Fi or Bluetooth 4.1. If I use Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi would it be better?

The thing is I don't know exactly where I could start, I have in mind the trilateration thing but I don't have a clear idea of how I could develop it.

Gavinmc42

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 am

Not sure if this is any help?
https://www.bitcraze.io/loco-pos-system/
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

raghava

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:34 am

Corporate campuses and manufacturing units spread over large areas can be quite tough to manage. However, with the right technology such as indoor positioning systems, facility heads can manage the workspace effectively.
But, navigation within the facility is just one cog in the wheel. Can indoor positioning system also help in finding people, support collaboration, event registration and get instant office updates?
Yes, why not! Indoor positioning and navigation apps make all this possible and much more. These apps are developed focusing on large venues like corporate campuses. Already, other large facilities such as shopping malls, convention centers, warehouses, zoos and etc. have associated with it and are witnessing fruitful returns.
Go through https://pigeon.srisys.com/blog for more information. Hope this information will be helpful to you.

Return to “Networking and servers”