kiinkiin

Using RPi as AP to access files on RPi from pc or phone

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 am

Hi all.

I am working on a project that uses an RPi as a data logger for some sensors. The unit will be remote and with no internet connection.
At some preassigned time the RPi will power on (relay controlled by Teensy), and file the data logged by the sensors. During this 'on' window a user can then access the RPi via WiFi ( I have made the RPi a WiFi access point) and then copy or download the relevant files. After a given period of being on the RPi will shutdown (crontab) and then the Teensy will pull the plug.
My problem is that I can't seem to understand how to access the files on the RPi. I have it working as an access point but what then?
I have tried SFTP using Filezilla and WinSCP but they cant access the Pi. I have tried using the Pi's name for host name and the static IP addr, to no avail. I'm missing something here.

I really hope someone can help me out with a poke in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
kiin .

penguintutor

Re: Using RPi as AP to access files on RPi from pc or phone

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:02 pm

I'd suggest using IP address for now, until you have got it working properly. You should also try with a PC to make sure it's working correctly prior to using a phone as phones have limited troubleshooting tools (unless installed separately), and phones may use smart-switch and so drop WiFi connection if they see that there is no Internet access.

Have you turned on ssh server on the Raspberry Pi?
Can you ping the Raspberry Pi IP address?

Is the Raspberry Pi giving your PC a dhcp IP address?

Have you tried ssh to the Raspberry PI?

If you can ssh then WinSCP should work. If not then does it give an error?
Alternative is to use a different file share technology (eg. SAMBA for Windows Share).

Return to “Networking and servers”