emmamillathompson

VPN for WiFi

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:51 am

Sometimes find myself at major transportation hubs and sometimes would want to connect to the available WiFi which are suspect at best. Is there a VPN product that would allow safe web navigation while teaching me the basics of VPN? Guidance sought.

tazz4843

Re: VPN for WiFi

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Well, if you're willing to type some code, try these: https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspbe ... ess-point/ and https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspbe ... pn-router/. Make sure to use a Raspbian Jessie image. Wheezy does not work. I can get you a Jessie image in a few days. And do not use VyprVPN as they suggest. Instead, use ProtonVPN. I have tried them and found them to be great. They also are a 'no-logs' service. EDIT: Here we are: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... jessie.zip
Check me out on Reddit: reddit.com/u/tazz4843

bzt

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi,

If you also want to learn, I'd suggest to buy a very cheap VM somewhere, and install OpenVPN there. Then you can connect to it (with the same OpenVPN software, configured as client) from your Pi no matter what local network you use. This is the cheapest, safest and provides you the best learning curve. (Also you can use the VM for other purposes as well.)

A few more articles worth reading: Digital Ocean's, CyberCiti's.

Cheers,
bzt

timsan

Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:22 pm

If you want to set up your own VPN, there are a few other alternatives to OpenVPN.

1) Wireguard

This is a new generation VPN which works in the kernel-space (instead of the user-space which OpenVPN uses). It works fine on many Linux distributions, and on a few BSD's as well. You could easily install this on a VPS.

2) OutlineVPN

This is a VPN developed Jigsaw (Google). The server cannot be installed an ARM device, but the server works fine on any Intel/AMD device. Clients are available for Android, Windows, MacOS, iOS and Linux (desktop). Of all the VPN's, OutlineVPN is the very easiest to install for non-technical people. Some VPS companies have very easy install procedures for OutlineVPN.

parker55

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Just avoid free vpns as they are data cap and keep log of your online activities and sell to third parties.

rpdom

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:44 pm

timsan wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:22 pm
If you want to set up your own VPN, there are a few other alternatives to OpenVPN.
3) tinc - works on the Pi and other servers. That is what I use for my main VPN when I'm away from home. I run it on two VPS from different providers and as long as at least one of them is available I can connect to my home network through them transparently.

Return to “Networking and servers”