wallace4793

Replacing Global Cache RS232 device with RPI and USB to RS232

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:55 am

Hi,

I am a beginner when it comes to the rpi and have limited coding skills. I am looking at options to remove an old GC-100/12 network device from my system and replace with an alternative. The GC-100 is old technology and can only accept a single connection and drops often so im looking for alternatives. THE GC options are Itach and Flex which can be quite expensive.

What I want to do is send a HEX string from my home remote device (example Harmony, iRule, Home Remote, DemoPad) to control my HDMI switch and pojector and receive feedback to the remote. This is very straightforward with the GC it is designed exactly for this purpose.

Can the rpi be set up to act as a similar network device? I have a usb/rs232 CH340 cable already. There are various discussions on rs232 control but im not sure if its the same thing?

John

AnneCreek

Re: Replacing Global Cache RS232 device with RPI and USB to RS232

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Strange coincidence.
I just spend few hours trying to figure out why my trusted old "USB to RS232" test tool did not work.
It was given to me by somebody from UK long time ago and basically monitors RS232 signals with LED's.
I use it to see if my "remote program" actually works accessing RPi.

Anyway - take a look at "setserial" it may do what you want to do.
I had to install it on Stretch.

This is how I access it via USB port on RPi 3, but I do not transfer any TX/RX data

system("setserial -ag /dev/ttyUSB0");

Return to “Networking and servers”