jonas-hab

RadioHead LoRa library freezing the Raspberry

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:25 am

Hi,

I'm trying to send data from one raspberry pi 3B+ to an other with two RFM95W LoRa boards.
I installed the RadioHead for raspberry library (https://github.com/hallard/RadioHead), compiled it and executed it.
Sadly it doesn't work like presented in the Readme file.
The client and the server version are using 100% of the CPU and making the raspberry freeze. I can't even stop the program with Ctrl+C so I must power off the raspberrys.

I've enabled SPI and did not modifyied his code. I've tested it on a Raspberry 2 and with previous versions of the library but it did the same.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks

MortenBraskJensen

Re: RadioHead LoRa library freezing the Raspberry

Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Currently having the exact same issue. I am able to transmit a single packet with the rf95_client example and then the pi freezes completely, forcing me to do a hard shutdown. I have RPi 3B.
Cant figure out what the issue is, so as the first poster, any advice or help is appreciated

mdhahne

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:59 pm

I arrived here doing research on the RadioHead library while considering using it in a non-raspy project. BUT, I did notice on the central documentation page for RadioHead (http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RadioHead/) that it appears the radios you're using aren't compatible with the Pi?

In the "Platforms" section, it states that the Raspberry Pi is only compatible with the RH_NRF24 driver. Then scrolling back up to "Drivers" we see...

"RH_NRF24 Works with Nordic nRF24 based 2.4GHz radio modules, such as nRF24L01 and others. Also works with Hope-RF RFM73 and compatible devices (such as BK2423). nRF24L01 and RFM73 can interoperate with each other."

No mention of your RFM95W boards.

This is based on a very cursory look, so I'd certainly recommend doing some digging through the RadioHead docs yourself before making any decisions, but hopefully this gives you somewhere to look!

rolgordijn

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Is there already a solution for this problem? I have the same issue...

bensimmo

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Try the CircuitPython modules from Adafruit, they are tweaked version and work for me.
Though I can't get the TTN/LoraWAN to talk to each other, plain LoRa is fine.

geosvy

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:54 pm

If you are using bcm2835_gpio_ren() to detect interrupts your system will hang.

Use bcm2835_gpio_lev() instead.

TFO

omiter129

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi all, total noob here!

Have the same problem with the RadioHead bib and, as op, only tried using the example code for RPi. I myself am using a Raspberry Pi 3B with a Dragino LoRa/GPS hat (v1.4 and just mounted onto the RPi) and I tried using the rf95 examples.

Tried changing the code as mentioned by geosvy, i.e. changing from bcm2835-gpio-ren() to bcm2835-gpio-lev(). The example code executed as ./rf95_client then worked without problems. However, the ./rf95_server code did not work. It does not crash the RPi anymore but now no messages can be received. So the bcm2835-gpio-ren() is needed when using the server example I guess?

I tried changing the time given for the os to run other tasks which gave some results. Now the ./rf95_server code only crashes sometimes.

Its a quick fix but works quite well as a temporary solution :P

omiter129

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 am

Got it to not freeze my RPi 3 B.

I simply added

bcm2835_gpio_clr_ren(RF_IRQ_PIN);

at the bottom of the rf95_server code (right above bcm2835_close();). I also uncommented the commented lines in

/etc/dphys-swapfile

This together with the other changes previously stated in my last message got the rf95_server to work without problems. I will try this with a RPi 3 B+ also. I hope this helps someone out there which sumbles onto the same problem as I did.

Cheers!

hojo

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:17 pm

I just fixed the rf95_client.cpp to use the _lev instead of _ren and it worked.
geosvy wrote: If you are using bcm2835_gpio_ren() to detect interrupts your system will hang.

Use bcm2835_gpio_lev() instead.
Is there any reference to this that we could see to know why _ren fails? I presume, at some point in time, it didn't fail.

Return to “Networking and servers”