bladeeta

Wireless Repeater

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:02 pm

There seems to be no clear answer to the question... Ive been looking to bridge my two wlan's but no success...

Only WLAN to ETH0 is well documented. How do you bridge WLAN0 to WLAN1?

BRIDGE_UTILS does not work, it throws an error when you use ADDIF BR0 WLAN1 - operation not supported. What utility supports this bridging type?

DirkS

Re: Wireless Repeater

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 am

bladeeta wrote:
There seems to be no clear answer to the question... Ive been looking to bridge my two wlan's but no success...
See the mod's post above yours...
To have a fighting chance of getting a helpful response you start a new topic instead of tagging on to some ancient topic

ejolson

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:23 pm

DirkS wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 am
bladeeta wrote:
See the mod's post above yours...
To have a fighting chance of getting a helpful response you start a new topic instead of tagging on to some ancient topic
I don't know about fighting, but I'll try to post something helpful anyway.

It's been observed elsewhere that bridging doesn't work between two wlan devices when one is configured as an access point.

My solution was first to set up my Pi using the built-in WiFi to connect to the Internet. After that was working, I plugged in a WiFi dongle and configured that as a wireless access point on a distinctly different radio frequency as described here. Instead of bridging the two devices, I used network address translation for the second WiFi device to work as an IP masquerade firewall with local DHCP, DNS and NTP services.

In the end it was possible to stream YouTube through this setup to a media player that couldn't directly connect to the upstream WiFi router due to weak signal strength. While I tried to disable power saving on the USB WiFi dongle serving as an access point, this seemed somewhat unsuccessful. The driver appeared to lower transmitter power so only the closest and most active downstream devices could connect. Note there may have been other problems, for example related to the local DNS server or the upstream connection that have confounded my analysis of the problems.

At any rate, this setup worked well enough for the needed six months. Although the Pi is now being repurposed for a different task, I will try to answer specific configuration questions if needed.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Split off from necromanced topic, locked the old topic, its no longer relevant.

ejolson

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:15 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Thanks for tidying up the thread. For reference, the old thread is here.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:39 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:15 pm
mahjongg wrote:
Thanks for tidying up the thread. For reference, the old thread is here.
yeah, but 5 years ago in 2013, PI's didn't have built in wifi, they were quite different PI's altogether and used a much different OS, (no systemd used) so not much in that thread is relevant today.

wolf.z

Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:45 pm

The missing possibility of bridging two wireless LANs is a protocol issue. IEEE 802.xx's real life implementation does not allow yet to do so. See: http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/d ... 09-v01.pdf Rather use routing.

ejolson

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:53 pm

mahjongg wrote:
yeah, but 5 years ago in 2013, PI's didn't have built in wifi, they were quite different PI's altogether and used a much different OS, (no systemd used) so not much in that thread is relevant today.
That older thread comes up first on certain web searches. Possibly locking it will lower the ranking; however, in my opinion updating older threads that are popular with search engines with new posts could help counter the difficulty some people have with resources that are out of date.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 am

ejolson wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:53 pm
mahjongg wrote:
That older thread comes up first on certain web searches. Possibly locking it will lower the ranking; however, in my opinion updating older threads that are popular with search engines with new posts could help counter the difficulty some people have with resources that are out of date.
I think not, most people will simply start reading the thread, and try to implement what is written, on a system that is completely different than what the instructions are meant for, giving up when they encounter errors. That isn't helpful.
Older posts should fade into obscurity instead, only being of historical importance.
Completely new threads with correct instructions should be created to replace them.
Plans are ongoing to lock older threads (older than 18 months) but it will take some work how to do this automatically, as doing it manually isn't feasible.
perhaps we should also prefix the subject line with [obsolete info] afterwards.

Return to “Networking and servers”