cscottiw

Browse to devices on isolated LAN using Pi and two Ethernet ports

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:09 am

Hello. I have read dozens of web pages, google searches, stack overflow, this forum.. everywhere and tried everything I can and I can't seem to figure this out. I am hoping you smart guys and gals can help me, as I'm a newbie to this stuff but I'm trying the best I can.

I have a camera network (for IP cameras) that is isolated from an office network, and I would like to be able to login and access the camera network remotely. This includes being able to pull up the web interfaces for the cameras on my web browser. Here are my challenges:
  • I cannot setup any port forwarding on the office network, but I can get internet.
  • The camera interfaces will not work through a web browser on the Pi, so I need to pull up the web pages on my computer browser.
I have an Raspberry Pi 3, and I have installed the remot3.it daemon. So far it works great for getting me access to the Pi remotely. The remot3.it service also allows me to open connections to custom ports on the Pi, which is great.

I have a USB-Ethernet adapter plugged into the Pi so that it has two Ethernet interfaces. One for the office network (internet), and one for the camera network.

What I want to be able to do is access the Pi remotely (either through a VPN or straight port-forwarding through the remot3.it service) and have a specific port on the Pi (let's say 8001) redirect to the web port on one of the devices on the camera network. That way I can use the Pi to remotely pull up the configuration pages for these cameras while on my home computer, which has all the special plugins and software installed to view the cameras properly.

I feel like the Pi can be configured to do this without breaking a sweat, but I am just too out of my depth. I can't even get the port forwarding to work correctly between the Ethernet interfaces, and I have tried dozens of different iptables configurations and have had no luck at all.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Return to “Networking and servers”