ivorykills

Terminal for Raspbian such as Putty

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:15 pm

What terminal can I use to console into my Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch? I would prefer Putty. New to using RPI but I have some labs I want to use them for. I'm a CCNA student.

topguy

Re: Terminal for Raspbian such as Putty

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Is it a serial console on the switch or network console telnet/ssh ?

For serial: screen , minicom , GtkTerm.
For telnet or ssh, just open a terminal window and connect with command "telnet ip-address" or "ssh ip-address".

n67

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Or you could just use PuTTY.

apt install putty

Note: Current versions of PuTTY on Windows do serial (as well as telnet/ssh). I am not certain if the Linux port does. It should, but, well, you never know...
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

mfa298

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:21 pm

ivorykills wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:15 pm
What terminal can I use to console into my Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch? I would prefer Putty. New to using RPI but I have some labs I want to use them for. I'm a CCNA student.
For serial access to routers and switches I tend to use screen although mincom might be a bit easier for a beginner.

If your using the on-board uart on the pi to connect to a Cisco (or other device) you probably want a suitable level converter in the middle (the pi uart will only tolerate 3v3 and not the higher voltages usually seen in rs232). I tend to use usb-serial devices for accessing routers like that which should be tolerant of the voltages normally used for rs232.

Return to “Networking and servers”