Parth1234

Best choice of web server on Raspberry Pi

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:30 am

Hi

I am looking for some advice on web server. We run web server on raspberry Pi such as Apache server, Tomact Apache server, Flask server. We also can create web server in node.js.

I have read some of forum post. I saw Apache server is not suitable for raspberry Pi because of security

Any advice Which is best choice of server on the Raspberry Pi for java and python

rpdom

Re: Best choice of web server on Raspberry Pi

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:13 am

I don't know where you get the idea that Apache is insecure.

I use Apache and nginx web servers.

B.Goode

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:42 am

Which is best choice of server on the Raspberry Pi
What are your criteria for 'best'?

Why not try several, and take a decision based on your own experience?

If security is a concern - whatever that means - isn't it important to understand the issues for yourself?

mfa298

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:30 am

Parth1234 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:30 am
Any advice Which is best choice of server on the Raspberry Pi for java and pythbon
That provides a starting point. Tomcat is an option for Java based web applications, flask and django are popular options for Python web applications. On their own they might be good for a small site, as you scale up you might need to add something in front (like apace or nginx).

Node.js can be used for JavaScript based web applications (not the same as Java) so maybe check which you want (node and JavaScript tend to be more popular on the pi, Java tends to be what's behind some large web applications)

Parth1234

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:36 am

B.Goode wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:42 am
What are your criteria for 'best'?
I do not have much experience about Raspberry Pi. I searched forum post for web server. I seen most of the members are using apache server, flask server, node.js.

I am trying to find out how do we select server. Do we select server on basis of programming language

I wanted to use that server, which most people use to make project

My choice

Python - Flask server
Java - Apache Tomcat

Heater

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:15 am

Parth1234,
I saw Apache server is not suitable for raspberry Pi because of security
Could you link us to wherever said that? Sounds like nonsense to me. Apache on the Pi is the same as Apache anywhere else. It's plenty secure enough. Of course, like anything else, one can configure it badly and blow that security.
I wanted to use that server, which most people use to make project
I think you should review your selection criteria a little bit.

It is helpful to use popular solutions that many other are using. That ensures you will probably find it much easier to find documentation, tutorials, blogs, forums etc for support.

But I think the first criteria is what actually is it you want to do?

If you want a general purpose web server, say with PHP and a database behind it then perhaps the traditional Apache stack is the way to go (LAMP).

If you want a server for a single application then perhaps you can skip Apache or Nginx and just create that server in your application. Here node.js is my choice. Python heads will use Flask or whatever. Java guys will bog themselves down with the complexity of Tomcat.

I'm sure all of these are widely used and support is plentiful so I would not worry about that so much.

Me, I use multiple web servers. At the front end there is nginx which serves up what it can and proxies other requests to other servers. Apache if there is an application in PHP or whatever built for Apache, node.js for more specific application servers.

For speed I would stay away from Python, for simplicity I would stay away from Java, as far as is possible. Hey, but that is just me.

grambaz

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:39 pm

In a journal, he say nginx best choice web server, rather than apache n lighttpd

Return to “Networking and servers”