rec9140

RasPi won't connec to one server???

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 am

I have numerous RasPis used as clients to encode stuff to a server. All have been working fine, till today.

One, out several, one, and only one refuses to connect to the server now.

Every other box on the network can connect to this server just fine

I can ping the server in questions via IP or FQDN.

Connecting to server via ssh IP or FQDN - FAIL

Connecting to server via the client software IP or FQDN - FAIL

Attempting to access the server's "some what web server" on via IP or FQDN - FAIL

wget to access the same thing, and my check script to check the server is up - IP or FQDN - FAIL.

No firewalls are installed on the Pi, no iptables, no selinux. It worked fine, till abruptly many hours ago it disconnected and won't reconnect to that server.

ANY OTHER sever on the internet is fine. Even amother of the same type of server, fine, on a different server IP/FQDN.

Right now I am using a redir on an outside server to send this back to the correct server. That is NOT A LONG TERM SOLUTION to this.

I've spent the last few hours trying to fix this problem.

Unplugged from LAN port on switch (dumb switch no firewalls etc.. devices on the same switch connect fine.)

eth0 down /up, even shutdown and restarted it, several times in a desperation move. Even pulled the plug for awhile and restarted, no change. Won't connect to that server.

If the server was blocking it, which its my server, and I am not, it would block my external IP, and there are 5 others that are connected to that server, and I can bring up test connections on other devices with that server, no problem.

wget, and ssh timeout trying to connect, using a browser in X just sits at connecting...

I've run out of things to try short of a fresh SD card with a fresh install and resetup that Pi.

No firewalls on LAN, no blocking by router ... Just was working fine, decided it no longer wants to connect to that server for anything now.

So any one have any ideas???

About ready to get hammer and use universal solution.

mfa298

Re: RasPi won't connec to one server???

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 am

rec9140 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 am
So any one have any ideas???
Maybe some more information about what the server is (software / language etc) you don't really give much to go on.

What do the logs say ?
Have you tried rebooting the router (maybe something in it's memory has got corrupted) ?

rec9140

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:01 am

mfa298 wrote:
Maybe some more information about what the server is (software / language etc) you don't really give much to go on.
The software for the server is IceCast 2.4.x

The client software is DarkIce or EZStream.

This is stuff that is fed from rtl_fm SDRs's

mfa298 wrote:
What do the logs say ?[/qupte]

Nothing in the logs, tail'ng them as the client tries to connect shows no connection attempts. Its not making to the server.

Every other client on the SAME network works fine, including numerous Pi2-3's.
mfa298 wrote:
Have you tried rebooting the router (maybe something in it's memory has got corrupted) ?
As a last resort, the ENTIRE LAN was unplugged, all switches, router. Everything. No change, that ONE Pi, will not connect to the that server, and only that server.

You can' ssh to it, you can' telnet to it, you can't wget to ti, you can access its built "web-ish" server on its port. You can use IP or FQDN, no joy. DNS lookup goes fine, it gives the correct IP. The ONLY THING that works is ping, thats it. You can ping it fine, nothing else will connect.

mfa298

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:20 pm

rec9140 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:01 am
mfa298 wrote:
As a last resort, the ENTIRE LAN was unplugged, all switches, router. Everything. No change, that ONE Pi, will not connect to the that server, and only that server.

You can' ssh to it, you can' telnet to it, you can't wget to ti, you can access its built "web-ish" server on its port. You can use IP or FQDN, no joy. DNS lookup goes fine, it gives the correct IP. The ONLY THING that works is ping, thats it. You can ping it fine, nothing else will connect.
When you say unplugged do you mean just the data cables or power as well. When I said reboot the router I really mean reboot it (i.e. remove power, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in). If there's some odd state in its memory then just unplugging cables won't help (and when people say unplugged they usually mean just data cables and not power).

Maybe even go to the extreme level and turn off the router and all the Pi's then try running only the router and the Pi that's been failing, or I might just try a clean install depending on whether you want to know what's not working or just try and fix it.

The other thing to consider is doing packet captures to try and see what's happening - but if you're limited to just the client and the server that may not tell much.

rec9140

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:48 pm

The entire LAN was powered OFF, no power to anything.

After repeating the issue, I've found the culprit, but makes no sense.

ONE SEGMENT uses a TrendNET Wireless bridge. One PI and Desktop use this due to location.

The Pi has been streaming a 32K bps stream for years no issues.

Now testing out some new software which adds an 8K BPS stream, and things freak out.

After awhile the Pi will refuse to access the server, and eventually the stream will drop.

The ONLY WAY to correct this is to POWER RESET the router. That is the only way the Pi will see the server and allow the stream to reconnect.

DISABLING the new 8K stream, and everything has been running fine.

What is weird is the desktop when the problem with the Pi occurs is fine, it continues along no issues. If I plug in another Pi which has never been used for anything, I puled it fresh out of a box, and it will connect and operate fine while the problem with the other Pi is occurring.

I might have a Cat 5 cable I can run from the other device to test with to see if with it running on wired v. the bridge to the router and see if the Pi remains operating...

Doesn't seem to make much since that adding an 8K stream causes the router to go whacko some way on the wireless side. Other LAN clients connected to the same server sending various additional streams 96K OGG to 32K BPS MP3... all fine. No issues.

If wired works, versus the bridge, it really doesn't make sense, and I will have to find a way to route a Cat5 cable out there... walls, and I mean concrete block with filled blocks and rebar are the reason why its on the bridge. Signal strength not an issue.

Repeating this test and recovering from the collateral damage caused by reseting the router is a huge PITA.

rec9140

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:41 am

Well after snaking a wired connection to this location to test with.

No change.

Plug in the box to the wide segment and turn on the new software, and within a minute the Pi on the wireless link segment can no longer connect to the server.

Disable that feed or unplug the cable, about a minute or so later the Pi can connect. No need to reset the router. Reset = PULL POWER PLUG, FULL HARD REBOOT.

Other boxes and other Pi's also feeding streams, continue to work fine on the

The condition is repeatable. As soon as I let that new software connect to the IceCast server, the Pi can NOT connect to the IceCast server, and while the stream running at the time doesn't drop the nature of the internet it will and will not reconnect. This is my local NWR feed, not something I want going down, regardless if its not an emergency level feed.

It makes no sense that a 32K BPS MP3 feed has run from the Pi for years, several years with out an incident, but adding a 8K BPS MP3 feed sends this Pi off into la-la-land.

I would do some other testing but right now it requires getting a VM setup to do that.

Any one with ideas? Testing? Doesn't make sense.

bertlea

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 am

Did you checked if there is anything unexpected in your system log files related to that Pi’s network connection? E.g. “/var/log/messages” and “/var/log/syslog “ in Raspbian.
I think the log files can be helpful. I recently solved a strange wifi lost connection issue in that way.

rec9140

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 pm

bertlea wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 am
Did you checked if there is anything unexpected in your system log files related to that Pi’s network connection? E.g. “/var/log/messages” and “/var/log/syslog “ in Raspbian.
I think the log files can be helpful. I recently solved a strange wifi lost connection issue in that way.
I'll watch it the next time I test time I test it, but since going to other sites is fine, I doubt there is anything in there.

rec9140

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:53 pm

OK.. I finally reached a point where there is just no visible solution to this...

I took ran a wire to the location for a test. Put a switch in and wire up everything. OK. Everybody connects to the internet, server in question.

Reconnect my stream from the one Pi (RasPI B Model 3) connects, works fine.

Turn on the stream on the new software, wait about 30-seconds to a minute. Can not get to the site status page on the Pi. The stream stays up as its connected, but if it fails, then ezstream won' t reconnect.

On the PI, I can ping the server, I can go to google, and other sites if I start up x and work from there.

Occasionally, if you wait just long enough the PI will bring up the status page all of a sudden. Then hit refresh or follow a link on it, and it just sits there. "Connecting..."

Now... as a test... I put up a VM internally with another 2.4 IceCast server, if I connect the new stream to that server and then relay it to my outside production server, EVERYTHING IS FINE.

I'd connect the new stream device to my back up server, but it won't connect to the 2.3 IceCast on the backup that is outside my network. Exstream and Darkice don't have a problem??? This new stream software seems to make a distinction in 2.3 v. 2.4 connections?

The weirder part of this is that is my RasPi Model B 2 that is on the LAN, could care less. Works fine. Can get to the site, streams along... Ho hum... whats all the hub bub...

I can connect to the IceCast server via phones/tablets via cellular data or via the LAN to the IceCast server, so its not a matter of connection limits there, and I have them set up high like 8000 each for sources and clients.

There is nothing in /var/logs/messages or syslog about that would seem to indicate "Hey I've lost my marbles to this site here FIX ME!" :) ;)

If I turn off the new stream setup and wait 30-40 seconds or so the Pi(s) will be fine and connect up. I even put a brand new Pi 3 B+ on just to see if it can get to the web site(Icecast) status page, nope, not until that software is disconnected or run via the relay method.

Nothing else on the LAN desktops or even VM's have issues. Even the new stream box has no issues, connects fine..

This is a real problem, as the Pi's are not going anywhere and will actually increase. The new stream box is needed to get newer modes v. $560+ radios.

Any ideas on what the issue is? ? ? ? There has to be either an issue in Raspbian on the new Pi 3's or the new stream software is flooding the net with something????

Any one have any hints or clues?? ? ? ?

Thanks.

Return to “Networking and servers”