Laukess

NAS questions and setup help

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi.
I've bough a Raspberri Pi, and recently got around to install an OS on it (Didn't have a card reader).
I'm not sure what to do with it, but I'm thinking about using it as a NAS. I got a lot of movies and stuff like that, and I would really like to be able to access it easily from different computers.
Would NAS be the best way to go ? How fast is it, and would it be possible to stream HD movies, so I can watch it directly from the Raspberry ? I would also like to know if its possible to access it outside my local network.

Most of the questions I would be able to answer myself, by installing the right software and testing it myself. My main problem, and the reason I write this topic is that I've had some problems with samba, and I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm new to Linux, so its kinda hard to troubleshoot.
I followed a guide I found, and didn't seem to mess any of the steps up, but I wasn't able to connect to it from my mac, so something must have gone wrong somewhere. I wanted to follow another guide, because the it seemed way better and helpful, but I got into problems because my hdd already was mounted and stuff from my previous attempt.

Is it possible to reset whatever I did to my hdd, so I can mindlessly follow another guide, and how do I restore the samba changes I made ?

Can you recommend any guides for a linux noob ?

Let me know if you need more info. Its been like a week since my last attempt, so I don't remember all the details.

Thanks for your time
- Lukas

bredman

Re: NAS questions and setup help

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:39 pm

Here is a step-by-step guide to configure your RPi as a NAS
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_NAS

If you don't have anything important on your SD card, it might be best to reflash your SD card to make a clean start.

Laukess

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Your link is actually the 2nd guide I wanted to try. It seems way better than the first one i found.
I would have re-flashed the card already if I had a working card reader, but the one I bought doesn't seem to work with my SDHC card. There's no other way to reset the OS ?

bredman

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:36 pm

You may have another SD card reader that you don't know about. Try your camera, camcorder, GPS, etc. Anything with a USB port and an SD card slot.

Laukess

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks for the tip, but I don't really own any devices with SD cards. I think I'll have to borrow one from a friend or something if its the only way. I don't really get why I can't just re-install samba and redo what ever I did to my HDD.
It doesn't really seem to be that big of a problem, but I don't know anything about Linux, so it makes it a lot harder for me to fix

bredman

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:59 pm

You could try this command to get rid of samba and all of its files.
sudo apt-get purge samba

kerml

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 pm

My question is about the PS to make this happen.

I have
. rpi model B v.2.0 512 mb RAM
. 16 GB sd-card class 10
. Ethernet cable
. 500 GB USB Hard Drive
. PS 5V 1.2 A

I will use SlackwareARM 14
I think this PS don't have enough power.
Amor de Slackware
Portugal 2007

flyinghappy

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm using a 5v 1a PS and don't have an issue. I have a powered usb hub but noticed it wasn't even plugged in today and had my 500GB HDD (has it's own PS) a wireless mouse and usb keyboard plugged in and it worked fine.
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server

Return to “Networking and servers”