MaxTheSpy

HOWTO - Using Raspberry Pi 3+ as Plex Media Server

Mon May 28, 2018 10:04 pm

The following guide is how I turned my Raspberry Pi (RPI) B3+ Into a Plex Media Server (PMS) This document is edited with new information as I come across it or remember it. This document is also edited for ease of readability.

Materials Needed
1 - 8 GB high-speed micro SD card (Minimum) or 32 GB high-speed Micro SD card (Preferred)
1 - 1 TB External Hard Drive (Western Digital is my preferred choice)
1 - Windows Computer
1 - RPi 3+ (Or suitable alternative)
2 - Keyboards (One for windows PC and one for RPi)
2 - Mice (One for Windows Pc and one for RPi)
2 - Monitors (One for Windows PC and one for RPI)
All applicable power supplies and HDMI cables

Software Needed
SD card Formatter
Latest Noobs Download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setting Up Plex

STEP 1 - On Windows
Format your SD card with the SD card formatted software. I recommend this one

Step 2 - On Windows
Download Raspbian with NOOBS. The download can be found here

Once downloaded, Unzip the file contents onto formatted SD card.

Step 3 - On RPi
Insert SD card into RPi and plugin you mouse, keyboard, and monitor, Then Plug-in power.

When selecting an OS Make sure raspbian is checked and english is selected at the bottom of the page

NOTE: Some users following this guide have had problems with Wlan0 once Raspbian is installed. To avoide this problem before clicking install set up the wifi under network near the top of the window.

After you have everything set, click install.

Step 4 - On RPi

Open your terminal and complete the following:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Step 5 - On RPi
Now that your PI is up to date and ready to go, lets make sure we have HTTPS transport package installed.

In the terminal complete the following:

sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https 
This makes sure that the latest and greatest is installed, If it is already installed it will display a message. Either way you are golden.

Step 6 - On RPi
Add the Dev2day repository.

in the terminal complete the following:

wget -O - https://dev2day.de/pms/dev2day-pms.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb https://dev2day.de/pms/ jessie main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pms.list
sudo apt-get update
Step 7 - On RPi
This is the good part. Installing Plex.

sudo apt-get install -t jessie plexmediaserver
Step 8 - On RPi
Now lets make sure that Plex is running under the Pi user.

sudo nano /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev
Look through the code untill you see this:

PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=plex.
Change the "=plex" to "=pi"

It should now look like this:

PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=pi
now that we changed the Plex user to pi go ahead and complete the following in terminal:

sudo service plexmediaserver restart
Step 9 - On RPi
Now to make a static IP address so it will stay the same so you just have to connect the one time. You need to find your IP, to do so complete the following in terminal:
hostname -I
Copy your IP address or write it down and now we will add it to the cmdline.
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
now add the following to the cmdline.txt file at the end

ip=YOUR IP HERE
now to save and exit: CTRL+X then y then enter.

Step 10 - On RPi
Now restart your RPi with:

sudo reboot
Step 11 - On Windows
Now that we are back on our windows machine, plug in your external hard drive and add your media folders

Movies
TV Shows
Music
Photos

Once you have them all loaded and ready to go, eject that drive and plug it into your PRi

Step 12 - On RPi
Now open a web browser and type in your IP address followed by :32400/web/

Example: 192.168.1.127:32400/web/
Plex should now be starting!

Under Libraries go ahead and click the button "Add Library" then select the type whether it be Movies, TV Shows, music or whatever you want.
Then Browse for Media Folder.

Navigate through your Pi filesystem until you find the folder that you want. Click Add Library. Bam you are finished and your movies or music or pictures should now be loading and ready to go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Set Up VNC

VNC Step 1 - On RPi
To begin we need to makl sure RealVNC is installed to the latest version.

Complete the following in terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install real-vnc-server
sudo apt-get install real-vnc-viewer
VNC Step 2 - On RPi
Now that Real VNc is installed on the RPi we need to allow VNC to connect. to do so complete the following in terminal:

sudo raspi-config
navigate to advanced options then VNC and click enable or Yes.

Remember that every time your Pi boots up it will automatically start the RealVNC server and viewer for you automatically.

Double click the RealVNC logo in the upper right-hand taskbar of the RPi and under connectivity copy or write down the first IP address shown.

VNC Step 2 - On Windows PC
Download and install RealVNC viewer and launch.

In the address bar type in your IP address and hit enter.

If it asks you to log in the default username and password are as follows:
Username: pi
Password: raspberry

Bam. you are now connected to your RPi through VNC.

Set Up SSH

SSH Step 1 - On Windows PC
To start SSH is pretty easy, First, you will need to download the latest version of PuTTY

SSH Step 2 - On RPi
In this step, we are going to enable SSH for the RPi

Open the terminal and complete the following:

sudo raspi-config
Go to section 5 - Interfacing options and then to P2 - SSH. Make sure to enable this. After enabling reboot from the menu or:

sudo reboot
SSH Step 3 - On RPi
once your Rpi is rebooted to Find your RPi IP address. to do this complete the following in the terminal

hostname -I
this should return your IP address.

SSH Step 4 - On Windows PC
Now that you have PuTTY installed and have your RPi's IP address. Launch PuTTY and in the "Host Name (Or IP address)" field, type in your RPi's IP address. Then select SSH and click open.

If you get the following error message it means you do not have the correct IP address for your RPi

Network error: Connection timed out
If you have the correct IP address, a security alert should come up on screen. click Yes. It will then have you log in with your unix username and password.

DEFAULT:
Username: pi
Password: raspberry
You should now be logged in via SSH and able to perform all tasks.
Plex Update
Step 1 - On RPi

Before you update the PMS (Plex Media Server) you are going to want to update everything around it. Think of it like making the bed before you crawl in.
to update the existing computer please complete the following in terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
After your server is done updating complete the next command in terminal to update the PMS server:

sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver-installer -y
You should now be up to date!

WARNING: This could possible reset some default settings. Make sure your media folders are still set up. While this has not personally heppened to me, It has happened to others, Please let me know if this happens to you so we can troubleshoot the issue and find a better way to update.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Command Cheat Sheet
These are the commands I use to manage my server.

Sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo service plexmediaserver stop
sudo service plexmediaserver start
sudo service plexmediaserver restart
sudo reboot (Reboots Pi)
sudo tuptime (Shows Pi uptime)
sudo shutdown -h now (Shutdown now)
sudo apt-get install stfs-3g (for storage systems over 2 gigs)
sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver-install (Update Plex)
iwconfig (Wifi Strength)

Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting - 1 - Sub Directory Blank]
If you click on a parent folder of Movies and the folder contents do not show, you might be wondering if you did something wrong. I had this same issue when I started mine for the first time. Its a pretty easy fix.

chmod 777” means making the file readable, writable and executable by everyone.

sudo chmod 777 /media/pi
NTFS-3G is an open source cross-platform implementation of the Microsoft Windows NTFS file system with read-write support. NTFS-3G often uses the FUSE file system interface, so it can run unmodified on many different operating systems. Implement this when using a flash drive or HDD over 2GB

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
Stops the PMS service

sudo service plexmediaserver stop
Allows Plex to read Pi Files

sudo addgroup plex pi
Allows Pi to read Plex Files

sudo addgroup pi plex
Completing both of these means both the Pi user and Plex user can read and write the same files or share files essentially

The chown command is used to change the owner and group of files, directories and links.

sudo chown -R plex:plex /media/pi/yourHDDname
Starts the PMS service

sudo service plexmediaserver start
Updates from repositories

sudo apt-get update
Reboots your RPi

sudo reboot
Checking CPU Load

After all this is done go ahead and try step 11 again. Your media should now be viewable!

Locale Problems
I've heard of a few people having locale problems, or getting a locale error in the process of setting up the plex/pi server. Follow the steps below to fix these.
1 - I've heard of people having issues with the locale error coming up. To solve this, boot to desktop. Click the Pi button in the top left corner of the task bar.
2 - Select preferences, then the Raspberry Pi Configuration.
3 - Navigate to the last tab, localization
4 - Select your Locale, Timezone, Keyboard and Wifi Country
Things to look into
Handbrake - Reduce or remove the need to transcode through Plex

ODROID-C2. Twice the power? (Side By Side Comparison and testing to come)
ODROID-XU4 even more power?
Headaches & Problems
I don't want to misguide anyone or lie to anyone, The following may just be me or maybe everyone but I'm going to write it down here for my own notes and for you to look over and decide if you want to take on this task of running a plex media server.

1. Transcoding.
One issue with my plex media server is a transcoding problem. At first, I thought the format was wrong for each of my video files. I used handbrake to recode a few videos and those videos ran flawlessly. My girlfriend Xbox, on the other hand, seemed to be transcoding H256 to H256. While this didn't make any sense I think it had to do with transcoding the bitrate. I have changed the bitrate allowance in the server settings and will be retesting under the same environments.

CPU Usage
My CPU usage seemed pretty high at times and also surprisingly low at others. I think this is a 2 part problem. One part could be that the server is trying to transcode certain media files, and I think the other problem is the memory split setting may not be the best at 128.

PMS - No GUI
Im not sure if this is a just me problem or the server simply wont allow it. The problem is when I boot the Pi into commandline and not desktop version, I go and try and watch a movie on plex web and it says media is unavailable. I then go back and boot into desktop mode and all my media is there and ready to watch. Im not sure if this is a setting on my end or plex end or what but I thought I would not it here as well.
Note that this is my experience with using Plex as a media server. This is what worked for me and may not work for everyone. If you have any questions contact me directly through DM, reply to this message board or email at : [email protected]
Last edited by MaxTheSpy on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

MaxTheSpy

Re: HOWTO - Using Raspberry Pi 3+ as Plex Media Server

Tue May 29, 2018 2:15 am

RasPlex

RasPlex HOWTO coming soon:

RASPLEX Hardware: https://www.msldigital.com/collections/all-products
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

PanopticEmu

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:14 am

I'm getting an error when installing plexmediaserver on raspbian stretch.

sudo apt-get install -t stretch plexmediaserver-installer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  plexmediaserver-installer
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/7,662 B of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package plexmediaserver-installer.
(Reading database ... 123484 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.2.5142-3ba6662e9-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver-installer (1.13.2.5142-3ba6662e9-1) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver-installer (1.13.2.5142-3ba6662e9-1) ...
Adding user plex to group video
Downloading readynas package ...
#######                                                                   10.7%
curl: (56) SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 104
Checksum mismatch. Downloaded file does not match this package.
dpkg: error processing package plexmediaserver-installer (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for systemd (232-25+deb9u2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I don't know much about linux or raspbian, so any help fixing this would be appreciated

MaxTheSpy

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:20 pm

PanopticEmu wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:14 am
I'm getting an error when installing plexmediaserver on raspbian stretch.

sudo apt-get install -t stretch plexmediaserver-installer
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/7,662 B of archives.
Selecting previously unselected package plexmediaserver-installer.
(Reading database ... 123484 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.2.5142-3ba6662e9-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver-installer (1.13.2.5142-3ba6662e9-1) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver-installer (1.13.2.5142-3ba6662e9-1) ...
Adding user plex to group video
Downloading readynas package ...
#######                                                                   10.7%
curl: (56) SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 104
Checksum mismatch. Downloaded file does not match this package.
dpkg: error processing package plexmediaserver-installer (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for systemd (232-25+deb9u2) ...
I don't know much about linux or raspbian, so any help fixing this would be appreciated

sudo apt-get install -t stretch plexmediaserver
Try that. dont use the "-installer" yet.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Edhelvar

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:38 pm

I''m looking into buying a Pi for use as Plex Server, but I don't understand much of Linux or how Pi works. And I've seen some tutorials, and it all seems very simple, but for example in this one https://thepi.io/how-to-set-up-a-raspbe ... ex-server/ there's nothing about SSH or VNC.

Can you explain to me what you can accomplish after setting these two parts, and why other tutorials may not consider them when setting up the Pi?

Thanks.

MaxTheSpy

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:51 am

Edhelvar wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:38 pm
I''m looking into buying a Pi for use as Plex Server, but I don't understand much of Linux or how Pi works. And I've seen some tutorials, and it all seems very simple, but for example in this one https://thepi.io/how-to-set-up-a-raspbe ... ex-server/ there's nothing about SSH or VNC.

Can you explain to me what you can accomplish after setting these two parts, and why other tutorials may not consider them when setting up the Pi?

Thanks.

Hey man, not a problem. So I run my Pi Server headless, which means it does not have a display or its own mouse and keyboard. I have mine plugged into a wall and sitting behind some books on my shelf. SSH allows you to connect from your desktop to your PI remotely and have access to the command line.

VNC means that I can connect remotely from my desktop but also have a desktop view. This means that I can rename files easily and move things around with the GUI rather than just the command line.

If you plan on using your plex pi with a display then you don't have to set up either of these options. For me its just nice to have so I don't have to have the server sitting on my desk and connect and disconnect from a display when I want to use it.

I hope this helps. let me know if you have any other questions that I can help you with.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

sudinami

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks for the description MaxTheSpy, my Plex server is up and running! :)

MaxTheSpy

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 am

sudinami wrote:
Not a problem, glad I could help. Did it go smoothly for you?
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

sudinami

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:21 am

Thanks, it actually did. I made it on a Mac, so for all Mac users: it's all the same. :)
To be honest I'm not a Linux expert, so far I'm struggling with handling the file system (my old drives are ext4 format) since I can now read all content (Plex works perfect) but I can't delete files from them. I found a description how to mount these ext4 drives here: https://forums.plex.tv/t/using-ext-or-n ... nux/198544
Now I have my Raspberry Pi hidden behind the TV, I use VNC to connect, it's perfect.

Setting up the database slowed down it a little bit, I will test how the temperature will be when playing today evening.
Thanks again,

András
MaxTheSpy wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 am
sudinami wrote:
Not a problem, glad I could help. Did it go smoothly for you?

BlueHorizonUK

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:36 pm

My media files are on an external drive but the files are on Google Drive so that when a new TV show etc gets uploaded into my drive it downloads to the external drive but how do I integrate this into Pi?

MaxTheSpy

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 pm

BlueHorizonUK wrote:
My media files are on an external drive but the files are on Google Drive so that when a new TV show etc gets uploaded into my drive it downloads to the external drive but how do I integrate this into Pi?

Im not quite sure that I understand what you are trying to say. The files must be hosted on a harddrive to work with the PlexPi. If they are hosted on google drive Im not sure that it will work. If you are on windows you could try cloning your google drive folder and then through the plex web app try and select that cloned drive as the source of the videos. You might run into other issues that way though.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

BlueHorizonUK

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 pm

MaxTheSpy wrote:
BlueHorizonUK wrote:

Im not quite sure that I understand what you are trying to say. The files must be hosted on a harddrive to work with the PlexPi. If they are hosted on google drive Im not sure that it will work. If you are on windows you could try cloning your google drive folder and then through the plex web app try and select that cloned drive as the source of the videos. You might run into other issues that way though.
My media files are on a external drive that syncs to google drive. What can I install or how do I set it so that this syncing still happens on Pi (it’s currently connected to a Mac that runs Google Drive software)

MaxTheSpy

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:35 pm

BlueHorizonUK wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 pm
MaxTheSpy wrote:
BlueHorizonUK wrote:

My media files are on a external drive that syncs to google drive. What can I install or how do I set it so that this syncing still happens on Pi (it’s currently connected to a Mac that runs Google Drive software)
As long as the folder is visible as a drive then you can just add the drive with the Plex web app on the left hand side pannel. Other than that Im not sure if that is possible if it can work that way.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Roken

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 pm

This is an old link, and so may not be current (or even available on Pi), but take a look at https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/mou ... fuse-linux.

If you can mount the google-drive as if it is a local drive, it can be used with Plex.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

diguar

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:02 am

What method can I use to get a plex to join a video in the NAS?

MaxTheSpy

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:32 am

diguar wrote:
Im not quite I understand your question, Can you be more specific?
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Fbarajas6126

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:55 am

I think he is asking if he can stream media content from his NAS to the Plex server.

jeffmeden

Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:19 pm

diguar wrote:
Just as a point of clarification, your NAS can probably run Plex itself. Theres very little reason to run Plex on a platform aside from where the videos are stored unless you are doing transcoding (which with the Pi, you sure arent).

ffej4ord

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:39 pm

I'm still getting errors related to step 7. PlexMediaServer does not seem to complete the install process. I saw that someone posted another install process but it also produces the same error.

sudo apt-get install -t stretch plexmediaserver
Building dependency tree
The following additional packages will be installed:
plexmediaserver plexmediaserver-installer
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/8,616 B of archives.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
/usr/bin/dpkg-split: 2: /usr/bin/dpkg-split: Syntax error: newline unexpected
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.8.5395-10d48da0d-1_armhf.deb (--unpack):
subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2
/usr/bin/dpkg-split: 2: /usr/bin/dpkg-split: Syntax error: newline unexpected
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver_0.9.16.4.1911-ee6e505-2~jessie_all.deb (--unpack):
subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2
/var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.8.5395-10d48da0d-1_armhf.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver_0.9.16.4.1911-ee6e505-2~jessie_all.deb

egittines

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:46 pm

I've recently set up my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ as a Plex Media Server. I am running PMS Version 1.13.9.5456. I've been able to connect it to my media and access it from other devices via https://app.plex.tv. However, when I do connect to it from another device I get a warning in the browser that the server does not support secure connections. I have to click the "Allow insecure connection" option. Can someone please help be determine what I need to do on the Pi in order to make the connection secure?

Spawnreaper

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:57 pm

Great guide, I can't wait to build one.

The problem I have at the moment is that I have a lot of friends watching on my server. Its constantly giving CPU messages. Its just to much for the Mac mini to handle. I think the mkv transcoding issue is partially to blame.

Reading your guide I am thinking of making small remote mini servers place it at there place and just rsync there favourite shows to there Plex server running on the raspberry pi.
saves me transcoding and hopefully they are not getting the errors anymore.

Do you think it could work?

busybe

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:31 pm

Hello, thank you for the great post. I would like to access this plex server hosted on my pi 3 via my smart TV which has installed plex client. Will it work? any coding to do for it to work? Does my pi have to be running in the background and plex server open all the time for me to access?

Thank you

busybe

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:08 pm

Hello, thank you for the great post. I would like to access this plex server hosted on my pi 3 via my smart TV which has installed plex client. Will it work? any coding to do for it to work? Does my pi have to be running in the background and plex server open all the time for me to access?

Thank you

MaxTheSpy

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:20 am

busybe wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:08 pm

Thank you
This tutorial shows you how to set up a plex server for streaming media. As long as you want to access your media pluggd into the Pi, you will have to have the Pi on and running in the background. I currently have my plex set up on all my tv, computers, and xbox's

Hope this helps.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Samsquanch

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Step 9 confuses me. Where/when do I type that stuff in? Could you provide a screen shot explaining exactly where I type it in?

Return to “Networking and servers”