mshelby

trouble connecting, dev ppp0 = "DOWN" ??

Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Help! I have setup a headless server ruuning on a rpi 3 using raspbian-lite (stretch):
-- Connecting via ethernet (working fine)
-- Using Static IP address (Working fine)
-- Connecting to PPTP VPN on boot or manually thereafter (NOT working)

I'm using the VPN connection to provide me with a dynamic dns address through a previously setup (and working fine) pptp configuration.

All was setup and working flawlessly for about the last 4-6 months.
After latest system update (two weeks ago as of date of this post) I cannot bring up /dev/ppp0.
It's a headless server, so I'll need 'command line' directional help. I have NetworkManager installed and am adept at using nmcli & nmtui.

As I said, I had it all configured and working well.... but it's been a while since I set it up that I've forgotten some of the steps! I'm sure my solution is pretty simple... But I just can't figure this out!

'ip -a' shows the following:
enxb827eb16260c: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
ppp0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 3

So it would appear the ppp0 is obviously down.
How do I bring it up? I fear that the latest upgrade has caused my raspbian system to lose the ability to manage the hardware:

using 'pon [connection-name]' manually will call the connection.... but since the device is unmanaged it shows "DOWN" and the device is not connected to my previously setup connection.

Maybe someone can provide a little guidance? Thanks!

Return to “Networking and servers”