nobbit

Rolling your own e-mail server?

Fri May 04, 2018 11:47 am

I've heard a lot of people saying that running your own e-mail server isn't worth it these days (the list of issues includes everything from spam detection to not being able to send e-mail because of ISP blocking or major vendor reputation systems not recognizing your server).

I'd like to hear from those of you who *do* run your own e-mail servers on RPi. Tell me your experiences, the pros and cons. I'm getting tired of being locked into gmail, but I have to admit that I just don't know any better alternatives.

SurferTim

Re: Rolling your own e-mail server?

Fri May 04, 2018 1:32 pm

I haven't found that receiving emails is a problem. It is sending that is the hassle. Some email servers block emails from non-commercial IP addresses. If you are not careful, you end up on a blacklist, which may be almost impossible to remove your IP from.

I ran my own email servers for years. I now use a commercial ISP to handle that. Some ISPs (like mine) will allow you to relay through their email server, eliminating some of the hassle. You might want to check with your ISP to see how flexible they will be with your server.

droleary

Re: Rolling your own e-mail server?

Fri May 04, 2018 1:39 pm

Well, I don't run it on an RPi, but I do use exim running on a low-end VM. I use anti-spam techniques that don't require filtering incoming email. Outgoing email used to be fine, big players like Google (and increasingly Yahoo) are indeed taking every opportunity they can to break email when it comes to smaller providers. I still say it's worth it to run your own server, but have a backup plan (i.e., a secondary server) configured for the people you know who let Google decide who they can talk to.

Return to “Networking and servers”