Gorthaur

Raspberry as a wifi hotspot connected to a vpn server

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 am

I have a RPi 3 that i'd like to use as a wifi hotspot to access my vpn server. I planned to have the rpi connect to the vpnserver through the ethernet port and share a vpn'ed connection through the wifi interface so I can connect my tv to it and use Netflix. My router doesn't let me use a vpn directly and I only want to use it for netflix. My vpn server is on a 100/100 fiber line, so no problems there.

Is there a good tutorial to achieve this? I'm using raspbian stretch.

sora03

Re: Raspberry as a wifi hotspot connected to a vpn server

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:20 am

If you want to use a VPN you just need to install openvpn and do: $ sudo openvpn --config youropenvpnconfig.ovpn

If you want to hotspot and vpn I have not tried it yet, you can create a hotspot then connect the vpn theoretically this would make the hotspot vpned
FLOSS enthusiast, Debian user (linux-libre)

piralitto

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:33 pm

I need to do exactly the same thing:

-Connect to my VPN using raspbianOS through ethernet,
-and then use the wifi adaptor as a hotspot and share the VPN connection whenever I want with any device I want.

I have tried open-wrt to turn the raspberry pi into a router, however openvpn IS NOT maintained and so it DOESN'T WORK as intended.

I am really very disappointed because VPN-routers like LinkSYS cost more than €150, and an asus model even costs €400. I mean, that's a lot of money.

The raspberry is fully capable of doing this. We just need to know how to program it.

mikeminish

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:48 am

I turned my Raspberry Pi 3 into a wifi hotspot with this tutorial: https://howtoraspberrypi.com/create-a-w ... raspberry/

Then I followed these instructions https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn- ... pberry-pi/ to install vpn on my pi. You need to have ExpressVPN subscription in order to do this.

Only problem with this is that devices connected to pi wifi lost internet connection when I connect to expressvpn server on my pi. There is maybe some dns issue with this.

Return to “Networking and servers”