carlsopa

Raspberry pi 3 as AP using strictly wifi

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Good day

I was looking for some advice, as everything that I have tried so far does not seem to work. What I would like to do is use my Pi3 as an access point for apartment of connected devices. Two things also need to be with this:
1) it will not have access to an ethernet cable, so it will have to receive and broadcast all over wifi
2) it will also be working as a server to display a webpage, and act as an MQTT broker for device communication.

I have followed along wtih the offical raspberry pi AP set-up (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md), at the midpoint where it says to use a wireless device to discover the network, my network does not exist. The current set-up is a wifi dongle a USB port, and the internal antennia. I would like to receive the signal off of one of these, and broadcast off the other.

Is this possible, and any advice?

Paul

Ronaldlees

Re: Raspberry pi 3 as AP using strictly wifi

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Are you saying you have no ISP-provided WiFi-to-internet router to make a connection from your Pi AP device? Are you needing public internet access for users of the AP, or is your local webpage all you need?
I am the Umbrella man

carlsopa

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:18 am

I do have an ISP provided wifi router. What I was wondering about capabilities is instead of having everything connect through the router which they currently are, my devices would connect through the pi instead. The access is not a public AP and would only be used for my smart devices.
The web page would be a static webpage, I was thinking of using port forwarding from my ISP provided router, to the pi for access to that page.

SurferTim

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 am

carlsopa wrote: I do have an ISP provided wifi router. What I was wondering about capabilities is instead of having everything connect through the router which they currently are, my devices would connect through the pi instead. The access is not a public AP and would only be used for my smart devices.
The web page would be a static webpage, I was thinking of using port forwarding from my ISP provided router, to the pi for access to that page.
You shouldn't have a problem with that considering the port forwarding works. It seems a majority of ISPs are now blocking port 80 inbound requests to residential accounts. I'm doing all of that except I have a commercial account with static IPs.

Ronaldlees

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:56 pm

OK, I understand what you want. The instructions that you followed should be OK. But, for some reason the hostapd software is not running or is not configured correctly. If the "hostapd software + driver/interface + WiFi dongle" is operating properly, you should see the access point when you search for networks with your other machine. You have to be able to see the access point before going any further, so don't worry about DHCP and so forth. That's stuff for later.

Maybe you could post some of your logs and your hostapd.conf file. To get an idea about what hostapd is doing, you can start hostapd manually with the -dd option (extra verbose debug info) followed by the path and filename of your hostapd configuration (usually /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf IIRC).
I am the Umbrella man

Return to “Networking and servers”