jeffreyrap

Finding host name an issue!

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi everyone, ok, let me explain my set, I am using xfinity, my server and other gear are downstairs, my mac computer is upstairs, so i had to connect my raspberry, through the tv, i have pi 3, everything is going well, set my ssh so now i have to find my host name so i can login through wireless
typed hostname -I, then this really long thing came up, most people have 192.155.101.0 no mine is like 50 characters, first off why is it that long but how do i correct it and be able to find my raspberry, very frustrating. i can't figure out this simple hostname stuff, can anyone one help me and if all possible steer me in the right directing with a example i need to get it right. thanks.

dgordon42

Re: Finding host name an issue!

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:31 am

It sounds like you are seeing an IPv6 address, instead of the more familiar IPv4 (192.168.8.0 like) address. It should still work with SSH.
Also, using the 'hostname' command without any options will give you the Pi's Hostname which by default is "raspberrypi" If your network has Avahi (Apples Bonjour) installed (most modern ones have) then you can SSH into "raspberrypi.local", no IP Address needed.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

Return to “Networking and servers”