BadKaiPanda

Pi Zero W a Wifi Dongle firewall

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Right after hrs and hrs of trying to get the Zero w to work in OTG mode, seems I was getting formatting wrong some tuts put spaces in there posts to make them look better like something = something, sothing but really there shouldn't of been any spaces so now I have a working connection to the pi, I have the pi connected to wifi and then my laptop connected to the pi via vnc or ssh depending on what I am doing.

I want to to share the pi's internet connection NOT the laptops but pi's connection to the laptop, I want to use the pi as a man in the middle fire wall to protect my laptop, block things I don't want, and maybe block all ip6 traffic.

I read many posts saying yes you can do this and they all without thinking or reading what the person as really asked give the how two on how to share the laptops or PC's internet with the pi, I am not sure why people are been that rude not to read someones question but anyway.

I want to share the pi's internet connection to the laptop, I want to use it as a dongle, is there a script or code I have to run to share wifi to usb0 connection or is there a better OS to use for it like maybe a dwr port or something as I want block all traffic in and out and let a handful of traffic only,

Some main reasons,
Block all windows updates in and out, stopping all logging systems full stop
Blocking add tracking in and out
Portable firewall for any windows system I use to make sure it does not start doing things I don't agree with.
I also want to maybe put on a basic tor host or normal host with some basic dynamic ip updater.

Once it's set up it needs to be headless mode and adminded maybe on web ui or ssh, reason I pick the zero w for it's size but I do have pi 3's
Once I got it working I need away to clone the sd card fully so others can install the same set up for the same things, better to isolate rather then walking away or rolling over to bad ideas of big compaines.

So any idea would help, I am not a linux or bash user so if I have to use bash please post the full steps thanks. P.S I am also dyslexic so my spellings or examples might be wrong so if you are confused feel free to ask me to explain that part again.

BadKaiPanda

Re: Pi Zero W a Wifi Dongle firewall

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:46 am

Seems this post as been pushed away and I really need help here so I am bumping sorry for this but seems others are getting help and this has been pushed away, and this happens at times, if you have any ideas what would help or even help using a pi 3 for this, thanks.

mattmiller

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 am

I want to to share the pi's internet connection NOT the laptops but pi's connection to the laptop,
From what I've picked up in similar questions recently - this is not currently possible

BadKaiPanda

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 pm

mattmiller wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 am
I want to to share the pi's internet connection NOT the laptops but pi's connection to the laptop,
From what I've picked up in similar questions recently - this is not currently possible
From what I am readying that might be the case but strange thing is no one is giving a clear reason why, that is why I asking it in more detail here as people need to explain why, it could be something to do with the USB host or code they use for the OTG, I would be happy to use a usb etha port or another wifi port if that's possible but that's last idea as this makes it no longer a dongle :) I guess I will have to leave the question here and bump it once in a while to see what people come up with, :) thanks for the reply

mattmiller

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:43 pm

no one is giving a clear reason why
From what I've seen, the PI generates a permission error if you try to bridge wifi to eth0 (and since it doesn't work with eth0 I feel there is little chance of it working with usb0)

(usb0 to WiFi or wth0 to WiFi works fine)

If people knew what the problem was - they would tell :)

It simply fails

Re-reading thru your specific case, I think you should be able to do it as your not wanting to bridge but simply route out to the internet
Try searching for posts by SurferTim to help you

BadKaiPanda

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:29 am

mattmiller wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:43 pm
no one is giving a clear reason why
From what I've seen, the PI generates a permission error if you try to bridge wifi to eth0 (and since it doesn't work with eth0 I feel there is little chance of it working with usb0)

(usb0 to WiFi or wth0 to WiFi works fine)

If people knew what the problem was - they would tell :)

It simply fails

Re-reading thru your specific case, I think you should be able to do it as your not wanting to bridge but simply route out to the internet
Try searching for posts by SurferTim to help you
Tho I want to route out the internet it still needs to let the usb0 get the internet from the device in the first place but I will find some time and get a pot of coffee going and have a look at SurferTim see what posts and ideas I can find :) thanks for the replies, lets hope we can find something not just for me but others also.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:44 am

BadKaiPanda wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:19 pm
Right after hrs and hrs of trying to get the Zero w to work in OTG mode, seems I was getting formatting wrong some tuts put spaces in there posts to make them look better like something = something, sothing but really there shouldn't of been any spaces so now I have a working connection to the pi, I have the pi connected to wifi and then my laptop connected to the pi via vnc or ssh depending on what I am doing.

I want to to share the pi's internet connection NOT the laptops but pi's connection to the laptop, I want to use the pi as a man in the middle fire wall to protect my laptop, block things I don't want, and maybe block all ip6 traffic.

I read many posts saying yes you can do this and they all without thinking or reading what the person as really asked give the how two on how to share the laptops or PC's internet with the pi, I am not sure why people are been that rude not to read someones question but anyway.

I want to share the pi's internet connection to the laptop, I want to use it as a dongle, is there a script or code I have to run to share wifi to usb0 connection or is there a better OS to use for it like maybe a dwr port or something as I want block all traffic in and out and let a handful of traffic only,

Some main reasons,
Block all windows updates in and out, stopping all logging systems full stop
Blocking add tracking in and out
Portable firewall for any windows system I use to make sure it does not start doing things I don't agree with.
I also want to maybe put on a basic tor host or normal host with some basic dynamic ip updater.

Once it's set up it needs to be headless mode and adminded maybe on web ui or ssh, reason I pick the zero w for it's size but I do have pi 3's
Once I got it working I need away to clone the sd card fully so others can install the same set up for the same things, better to isolate rather then walking away or rolling over to bad ideas of big compaines.

So any idea would help, I am not a linux or bash user so if I have to use bash please post the full steps thanks. P.S I am also dyslexic so my spellings or examples might be wrong so if you are confused feel free to ask me to explain that part again.

You are overcomplicating, set up the Zero W as a Access Point:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

You will need a Ethernet Connection from your Internet Box, a combined USB Hub / RJ45 should suffice:

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ra ... b-pi-zero/
Adieu

BadKaiPanda

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 pm

No this is not what I want to do, I want to create a isolater wifi dongle, so I can use it out and about where I don't have access to the router at hand, I not trying to do anything I know what I want to do.

This is for the computer side NOT the router side, I want to isolate any laptop I use with a dongle that has my portable host and firewalls already on them, doing it the other way just wont work in a coffee shop or someone's house I don't know, also means I can encrypt traffic before it even gets to there network with tor or a vpn connection.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:16 pm

BadKaiPanda wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 pm
No this is not what I want to do, I want to create a isolater wifi dongle, so I can use it out and about where I don't have access to the router at hand, I not trying to do anything I know what I want to do.

This is for the computer side NOT the router side, I want to isolate any laptop I use with a dongle that has my portable host and firewalls already on them, doing it the other way just wont work in a coffee shop or someone's house I don't know, also means I can encrypt traffic before it even gets to there network with tor or a vpn connection.

Could you connect the Zero W by Ethernet to Laptop ( additional hardware required ) !!
Adieu

logansl

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Hello,

We almost did the same thing with friends.
We use our Raspberry Pi Zero W with OTG to connect it to any computer and provide internet connection.

To do this, we have coded in the Raspberry a site in Python/Flask that once connected and powered by the computer will allow a connection, for example by accessing it on the computer with: myraspip: 8080.
In this site we have put among other things an interface to manage the raspberry wifi interface. Thus, you can choose the SSID to which you want to connect directly on the rasp and it is the rasp that connects to it. The DHCP does the rest and sends the connection to the computer.

It works very well !

Roughly that's how we proceeded.

Return to “Networking and servers”