tfroehlichiii

Help | Dedicated VPN Client

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Hey Everyone,
I'm trying to find a good solution for a dedicated VPN client. Meaning that I would like to get a raspberry pi with dual Ethernet ports and the pi to be configured for the VPN so anything that is connected to it is connected on the VPN. One port would go to the router/firewall where the VPN ports would be opened and the other port connected to a device that needs to be on the VPN.

| My Setup |
My network is running on a Virtual Machine (VM) on VMware on a Supermirco server with pfsense. Within pfsense I have OpenVPN configured and working on all my mobile devices.

| Here is my issue I'm trying to solve |
I have a device that I want connected to my VPN but this device does not have the capability to install any kind of VPN software on it. So the pi would complete the tunnel and once this device is connected to it this said device would be on the VPN network. When I'm away from home and want to connect to my VPN with a new machine/device the pi would be a simple way to simply plug in and go.

Has anyone else done something like this or know of a tutorial?

Any help is much appreciated!

epoch1970

Re: Help | Dedicated VPN Client

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:00 pm

If your OVPN setup uses tap devices, the solution is easy since you can bridge tap devices.
If you're using tun you can't, so the pi would need to route.
You cannot mix tap and tun devices: all clients and server must use the same type.

So:
Step 1 Make the Pi work as an openvpn client.
Step 2 Get a secondary USB ethernet interface.
Step 3 Add a bridge (with members usb0 + tap0) or a dedicated network (static address on usb0 + dnsmasq for clients) and filter/route this to eth0

For step 3 you can have a look at a routed or bridged AP configuration for Pi. What you require is simply a variation of that.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

tfroehlichiii

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Thank you for the reply. The OVPN is setup as tun, should I make a new one as tap instead?

epoch1970

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:56 pm

Well it depends if you want that device to see other VPN clients of type tun.
If you don't care for other clients, then you could give it a go.

I never use "server-bridge" mode on OpenVPN, I like the old way aka "kernel-level bridging" and running my own DHCP/DNS servers outside of OpenVPN.
I know it is possible yet a bit fiddly to setup an OVPN server with kernel-level bridging in OPNSense. pfSense should also allow that.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

tfroehlichiii

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Yeah I definitely want the device to see other vpn clients on the network. What would you suggest I try/research?

Thanks again!

Return to “Networking and servers”