pomtom44

Managed Wifi Roaming with Raspberry pi, Help?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Hey all
I think this is the right place to put this thread, but feel free to move if iv put it in the wrong place.

If you know of Ubiquity's managed wifi, and zero handoff, allowing for roaming between access points without loosing connection.
Alot of other WiFi controllers have similar ideas, cisco etc.
The common factor is all the access points are controlled by a central controller which manages all the AP's

Now my question
I know this isnt the most optimal way of doing things, so please leave out the comments of "Dont use R-Pi's" or "Why not buy one of these..."
Im doing this as a learning experiment and for a bit of fun.
(however I know im going to have to buy some wifi adapters for the PI's, so if theres a specific brand which works best thats ok)

I know how to turn a raspberry pi into an access point, using a usb wifi and onboard ethernet, and how to set it so DHCP is managed by the network and not the R-PI
But what im looking into now is a way to set a few pi's up and use them as a managed network with a central control pi managing the roaming, ssid's passwords etc.

Iv tried to google it, but everything I find is talking about how to setup the Rpi as a wifi ap, or setting it up as a wifi repeater using two usb wifi adaptors. Which is not what im wanting.
Any input or direction would be great.
OR if you have no idea what im going on about, let me know and I can try re-explain myself.

Thanks in advance

pihome

Re: Managed Wifi Roaming with Raspberry pi, Help?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:17 am

from what i understand, you are looking for alternate to what is out there i.e central management console and then each remote pi as access point, but all managed from central pi,

i haven't seen anything like this but may be some one is doing this already and it would be very interesting to see it in action.
PiHome Smart Heating Control
http://www.pihome.eu

Return to “Networking and servers”