funstuff

Can a 1s gen ZERO run a N.A.S. ?

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi

I want to have my ZERO set up to a external hdd.

I have a net gear router.It also suports ready usb.. or some thaing like that. But its crapy.
I want to stream on other pc's from the hdd/n.a.s.
Is it abule to handel that ? and if so can it handel more than one computer streaming at same time ?

shuld I use a ethernet adapter or wifi on the zero ?

ghans

Re: Can a 1s gen ZERO run a N.A.S. ?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 am

A Raspberry Zero has no Ethernet port , no full size USB ports , little RAM , a old and slow
CPU. It's a very bad choice for a NAS.

A Pi3 would be significantly better , but it still suffers from the USB bottleneck of the Pi platform : The network + disks run over a single upstream USB host port shared via internal hub.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

nobbit

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:47 am

I have a B+ setup as network storage at home. It works superbly well for me, and I have no doubt a zero would work equally well, but you have to consider your use case a bit.

Using a zero for a NAS would mean that your HDD needs an external power source (if I'm mistaken on this I assume someone will correct me), and you need a Ethernet/USB converter. The zero has limited computing power and isn't likely to handle any type of heavy applications very well, so auto-syncing via OwnCloud WebDAV may be taxing, depending on the rate and size of file system changes on the client. Also remember that the ethernet and HDD will share the USB bus to the processor, so whenever a file is transferred over the network it has to travel through that bottleneck twice, effectively cutting the transfer speed to half of what the USB bus can deliver. If more than one client uses it simultaneously this is likely to make a pretty big difference.

My "NAS" handles small files and does no auto-syncing at all. 99% of the time it just idles, and then every now and again I rsync some files to/from it. I rarely handle any large files, but when I've done so it's been obvious how slow it is.

What do you want your NAS to accomplish?

funstuff

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:59 pm

I want to stream vidio on other pc's from the hdd/n.a.s.

drgeoff

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 pm

nobbit wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:47 am
Using a zero for a NAS would mean that your HDD needs an external power source (if I'm mistaken on this I assume someone will correct me),
You are mistaken.

Return to “Networking and servers”