Mequa

Board game Internet server

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:24 pm

I already have a Raspberry Pi primarily for media-centre use (and some C++/OpenGL ES programming and porting). I was wonder if (ideally getting a second Raspberry Pi), I could use it as a game server for a three-dimensional board game I'm working on (in C++ with Irrlicht 3D engine).

As the moves needed to be sent between players are not much more complicated than chess moves (perhaps with an IM feature), and I will only get a small handful of players, a Raspberry Pi seems capable to handle my lightweight game server requirements. The server needn't handle any graphics, and would ideally run from the console (without X).

I could keep this permanently connected to power and Ethernet (unplugging USB and HDMI devices after setting it up), and program it to allow various players to connect from around the world, select a screen name, send IMs, agree on the specific rule variations which are being used, and pair up in a two-player game. The game server would then relay moves and IM's between pairs of players (sent via the client side in the game itself), and may store game statistics.

For my purposes, this is currently a closed-source project (so I can't use GPL'd code), and I would ideally like to do this with freely-available software, which isn't too low-level and is suited to rapid application development.

Can anyone (preferably with some server experience) suggest the best solution to this using Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi? It needs to work with C++, and fulfil the above requirements as close as possible.

Also, the game itself might get ported to Raspberry Pi, if Irrlicht with C++ can work with OpenGL ES (and it can be cut down somewhat). I'd like to concentrate on the server first though.

Mequa

Mequa

Re: Board game Internet server

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Does anyone here have any relevant experience in Linux-based and cross-platform networking over IP, so as to construct a simple chat server and client?

This could be extended to support game moves and integrated into the project, with two-player games (including client software) played on multiple platforms (possibly including Raspberry Pi itself).

I would also need the equivalent of an online chat lobby, where people can PM, agree on rule variations, and pair up in two-player games.

Does anyone have any relevant pointers as to where to get started in constructing such a simple game server (which I think is well-suited to the Raspberry Pi as a hosting platform)?

Return to “Networking and servers”