Trigo

How to fine tune a Website

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Finally i've made it, the website is now online :) (yupi)! But i think that it is a bit slow, my question is how can i manage to get it go faster?
Beat psychologically with a stick :?:

scotty101

Re: How to fine tune a Website

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:16 am

Many browsers come with "Developer Tools". You can use these to see why the website is slow, either in downloading media or script performance. Once you've identified what is slow, you can look at ways to speed it up.

For example, if you use the "Network" tab on the Chrome developer tools, you might find that one particular image is slow to download. You could then modify the image to reduce the size so that it is quicker to download.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Trigo

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 am

I've got another issue! I can access it outside of my internal lan, if i connect the phone over 4g i can access it! but if i try to view it's content on my PC it doesn't show a thing! How can i edit it's content?

topguy

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 am

Since I dont feel like searching trough all your previous posts to try to figure out what/how your site is set up, maybe you can include this inormation in this thread.

Trigo

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 am

Well, the configuration files of the webserver are the same (default ones), as well as the hostnames and so on.... The only thing that i've made to make it go online was creating a hostname with noip, inserting the hostname on the router (Huawei), open port 80 and that's it! It is online! Now the only thing that i'm not able to do is to view and edit it's content when inserting the hostname on the browser!

elmapache

• Use Nginx instead of Apache
  • Install Raspbian into a fast USB drive instead of the MicroSD card
  • Use MariaDB instead of MySQL
  • Use Redis.io if your application supports it to cache the database queries
  • Set up the PHP caches
  • Use minimalist semantic markup (check CutCodeDown)
  • Optimize your application
Placa: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.
Sistema operativo: OpenBSD 6.2.

Trigo

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am

you are not helping, thanks anyway!

drgeoff

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Trigo wrote:
Well, the configuration files of the webserver are the same (default ones), as well as the hostnames and so on.... The only thing that i've made to make it go online was creating a hostname with noip, inserting the hostname on the router (Huawei), open port 80 and that's it! It is online! Now the only thing that i'm not able to do is to view and edit it's content when inserting the hostname on the browser!
Many routers do not permit you to access a server on the same LAN by using the public IP. Search for 'NAT hairpinning' if you want to know more.

Try using the LAN address (private dotted quad) of the server to access from your editing PC.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

klricks

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:12 pm

What is your ISP's upload speed? The upload speed of most ISP's is much much slower then the more advertised download speed.
It may help to have large images hosted on a photo sharing web site instead of your local server.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

topguy

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Trigo wrote:
So its an Apache installation ? With or without Wordpress or other frameworks ?
Like someone else mentions here, you cant really access your external IP from the internal network. Some routers might be smart enough to handle this but most cant. What I do is add the full domain name to the host-file and use the LAN ip. This will make your browser not do DNS lookup but go directly at the server.

https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/mo ... osts-file/

Return to “Networking and servers”