pomtom44

Monitoring Network via Pi

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:17 am

Hey all

I know this has probably been asked a few times, and iv had a quick look though the forums but can't find an answer to what im wanting to do.

What I'm wanting is a way to plug my pi into my network and monitor bandwidth usage over time, on a IP basis.
If your aware of ntopng, similar to that. With a nice GUI.

I have a managed switch which I can use to mirror traffic to the pi, if required.
and I have a sql database I can use for logging, as i know there will be alot of traffic logging going on.

Im not sure if a solution exists, as I cant find one easily,
but if there does, id love to know about it.

Thanks in Advance
Tom

digithead

Re: Monitoring Network via Pi

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Wow! I see nobody has responded to this yet so I guess I'll give it a go. ;)

I wanted to do the same thing mostly just for fun. I already had an internal monitoring system that had been up and running on one of my Ubuntu servers for several years. BUT... once I got into these Pi's... I started looking around and came across this little gem:

http://www.baldnerd.com/nems/

I've had this up and running for a very long time now and I love it. Also have Cacti running on one of my other Pi 3's... and I'm using yet another one as a Bacula Server that backs up all of the Pi's and two Ubuntu Servers over to a Netgear ReadyNAS via an NFS share the Bacula server mounts at boot-time.

You just gotta LOVE these neat little computers. :D
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what just happened." - Captain Phil Harris

pomtom44

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:34 pm

digithead wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:55 pm
Wow! I see nobody has responded to this yet so I guess I'll give it a go. ;)

I wanted to do the same thing mostly just for fun. I already had an internal monitoring system that had been up and running on one of my Ubuntu servers for several years. BUT... once I got into these Pi's... I started looking around and came across this little gem:

http://www.baldnerd.com/nems/

I've had this up and running for a very long time now and I love it. Also have Cacti running on one of my other Pi 3's... and I'm using yet another one as a Bacula Server that backs up all of the Pi's and two Ubuntu Servers over to a Netgear ReadyNAS via an NFS share the Bacula server mounts at boot-time.

You just gotta LOVE these neat little computers. :D
Talk about late reply.... Hopefully you see this, haha

From my understanding Nagos is more of a device monitor rather than traffic logger.
You install it and set your servers and switches and it monitors them to give you status, usage, downtime etc.

I may be wrong, but what im wanting is something which logs network usage for each laptop/phone/desktop etc.
So I can easily pull up a device from a list, and see its usage for the day, week, month etc

digithead

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:11 am

In that case, what you want to use is something like Cacti. So long as your switches support SNMP and are preferably at least Layer-2 capable Cacti can do just that. I do have another Pi running it and I can look at history pretty much as far back as Cacti has been running.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what just happened." - Captain Phil Harris

BlackKnight_UK

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 am

Not sure if its any help but I found this a while ago, haven't got around to trying it yet.

https://www.hackster.io/aallan/monitori ... -pi-ff63f1

pomtom44

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:17 am

BlackKnight_UK wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 am
Not sure if its any help but I found this a while ago, haven't got around to trying it yet.

https://www.hackster.io/aallan/monitori ... -pi-ff63f1
That just gets your speed from your ISP
Im looking for something which logs network usage from each device inside your NAT network

pomtom44

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 am

digithead wrote:
In that case, what you want to use is something like Cacti. So long as your switches support SNMP and are preferably at least Layer-2 capable Cacti can do just that. I do have another Pi running it and I can look at history pretty much as far back as Cacti has been running.
I thought Cacti had to access each device individually though SNMP and get the data that way?
Or can you use it to monitor usage from each IP going though the switch.
Not sure if thats clear, im not sure how to exaclty explain my thoughts on it haha.

digithead

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 am

pomtom44 wrote:
digithead wrote:
I thought Cacti had to access each device individually though SNMP and get the data that way?
Not sure if thats clear, im not sure how to exaclty explain my thoughts on it haha.
That is correct, and yes I understood completely what you're asking. No worried there. :-D But it can be done either at the switch (if and only if it's a manged switch <at least L-2) or from each device. I do both. My backbone switch is a 24-port L-2 HP switch. But I also have SNMP support on all of the other devices / servers on the network including the Pi's. So I can see traffic utilization from any of them. Cacti also shows CPU and memory utilization over time. To me, that's pretty useful information and besides... I'm just a nerd and want to see everything I can from my network, LOL Here's a screen-shot from my Pi that runs Bacula Server... Note that I'm not using the wireless interface.
Node01 Network Traffic for the past week.jpg
Node01 Network Traffic for the past week.jpg (187.56 KiB) Viewed 18869 times

pomtom44

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:08 am

digithead wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 am
pomtom44 wrote:
digithead wrote:
That is correct, and yes I understood completely what you're asking. No worried there. :-D But it can be done either at the switch (if and only if it's a manged switch <at least L-2) or from each device. I do both. My backbone switch is a 24-port L-2 HP switch. But I also have SNMP support on all of the other devices / servers on the network including the Pi's. So I can see traffic utilization from any of them. Cacti also shows CPU and memory utilization over time. To me, that's pretty useful information and besides... I'm just a nerd and want to see everything I can from my network, LOL Here's a screen-shot from my Pi that runs Bacula Server... Note that I'm not using the wireless interface.

Node01 Network Traffic for the past week.jpg
Yeah I tihnk you have mis understood.
May have been my terminology which confused you.
Im looking for a system where I can track usage, as in Quota, not speeds.

And something which doesn't require any setup on the client side, so if a friend brings over their phone or laptop, it will just track that usage as well. without having to configure anything

I have found this which seems to do what I need
http://blog.ronenb.com/2016/08/20/netwo ... spberrypi/
Going to play around and see what I can make work

digithead

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 am

Yup! I definitely misunderstood what you were looking for. :D Sorry about that. I'm a little more focused on performance and stability rather than usage... on the home network it's just my wife and I.

sora03

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:20 pm

you can try ntop-ng
FLOSS enthusiast, Debian user (linux-libre)

Return to “Networking and servers”