AutoBear

Raspbian screen mirroring

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Hey everyone,

Still fairly new to using RPi, but I'm looking to begin a project on making a pocket computer using either my RPi Model 3 or Zero W using Raspbian. However, since both have bluetooth, I was wondering, is there any software you can install with Raspbian that will allow you to screen mirror over bluetooth? Like with Android phones and tablets, maybe even with a laptop. Is this even possible?

And a noob question - with my RPi 3, I currently am using it as a retro gaming console through Emulation Station. If I wanted to , am I able to just switch out the microSD cards to flip between using it as the game console and using it like a computer? Or if I wanted to move the Raspbian loaded card back and forth between my two Pi's?

Thanks for all the help!

elkberry

Re: Raspbian screen mirroring

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:16 am

Not via Bluetooth, but VNC via Wifi. You can enable the VNC server through raspi-config. VNC clients are available for a wide range of platforms, such as Android, Windows, ...
From ZX81 to Raspberry Pi, but wait ... where's the 7805 gone?

AutoBear

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but everything I've found regarding using a VNC indicates that it is for remote accessing the RPi on your phone, tablet, etc. So, only viewing/controlling the RPi on your phone. What I am trying to do is use the Pi as a mini computer/media center using Raspbian (or another OS), but have an app or something that allows me to stream my my phone or tablet's screen onto the display that my Pi is hooked up to. Similar to Apple's AirPlay mirroring through an Apple TV.

elkberry

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Then you may still look into VNC, this time using an Android VNC server app, and the VNC client on Raspbian. But in any case, I doubt that Bluetooth is the right data link, as it isn't made for the bandwidth that VNC and other applications need. Wireless will be your friend.
From ZX81 to Raspberry Pi, but wait ... where's the 7805 gone?

ghans

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:48 am

MiracleCast is a MiraCast server and client for Linux. MiracleCast used to work on Raspberries.

Be careful , you might need very specific WiFi dongle model/revision/chipset/firmware
combos to get it working. Of course people on Amazon or Ebay never know what they are
selling regarding those details ....

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

areyes59

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:55 pm

Just created an account because I wish to do the same with my RPi. Were you able to find a solution for setting up mirroring capabilities?

Return to “Networking and servers”