Tyrone1980

RaspberryPi mobile internet router

Sat May 20, 2017 8:02 am

Hi new to the forum and raspberry pi but think the pi can do what I need. Essentially I want a pi sat on my network (stand alone or as part of another pi server) that will provide a 3g/4g connection in the event of my fibre connection not being connected e.g a backup internet service. I have a static IP address from my isp if that could be used as a trigger? I'm wanting to be able to limit which devices can access the mobile internet to reduce data allowance costs e.g allow CCTV and alarm. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

drgeoff

Re: RaspberryPi mobile internet router

Sat May 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Go to ebay and search for WT3020F. For less than £12 delivered you will get a little box with 2 ethernet ports, Wi-Fi, a USB port that takes most USB 3G dongles.

peterlite

Sun May 21, 2017 7:12 am

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/nexx/wt3020
There are several really cheap routers that cost about the same or less than a Pi plus power plus card. OpenWRT is preconfigured open source router software for your router or Pi or several other small computers. You can have your cheap router and, if you do not like the router software, install a free open replacement.

There are several posts about the difficulty of configuring Linux for a router. You have to work hard to put in place all the controls and security. I recommend premade routers for people who are not training to work in the network server/router area.

drgeoff

Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 am

peterlite wrote:https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/nexx/wt3020
There are several really cheap routers that cost about the same or less than a Pi plus power plus card. OpenWRT is preconfigured open source router software for your router or Pi or several other small computers. You can have your cheap router and, if you do not like the router software, install a free open replacement.

There are several posts about the difficulty of configuring Linux for a router. You have to work hard to put in place all the controls and security. I recommend premade routers for people who are not training to work in the network server/router area.
I have two of those Nexx WT3020F. One with stock firmware and one I installed OpenWRT. With the stock firmware, using a 3G modem dongle is close to plug and play. OpenWRT needs quite a bit of additional configuring to use with a 3G dongle.

Return to “Networking and servers”