Kai

Use as a mico-server 24/7?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Could the Raspberry Pi be used as a micro-server, or would using it 24/7 damage the pi in any way? The SD card would eventually need replacing, that I do know; but what about the pi itself?

Also would the power supply from a normal mobile phone charger (or something alike) be able to handle 24/7 use without minor power glitches? Would this be a worthwhile thing to have to solve that problem, if it occurs? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PicoUPS-120-D ... 0207898153

Many thanks :)

Baldrick1

Re: Use as a mico-server 24/7?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:26 pm

I am using a phone charge and have had my Pi turned on and acting as a 24/7 web host, torrent client/server, mumble server, ftp server, and SSH proxy, the only times it's been turned off is to reboot it after a firmware upgrade or because I'm too much of a noob to remember the command to type to restart a service so I just reboot the Pi.
It's also running a good but not overly stressful 850Mhz clock on it.

Remember, this is the same SoC that phones use, and you would be a little bit annoyed if your phone came with instructions saying you can only just it an hour a day :P

There are things you can do to minimize the SDCard writes because as you say, they will eventually wear out. I forget the name of the software (ZRam rings a bell but don't quote me on that) that stores all logs in RAM and only does an hourly dump from RAM to the SD card rather than loads of writes a second for all the services. I believe thats how it works, I should go and read up on it again but I hope you get the idea :)

kodess

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:35 pm

It'll be fine.
Baldrick1 wrote:There are things you can do to minimize the SDCard writes because as you say, they will eventually wear out. I forget the name of the software (ZRam rings a bell but don't quote me on that) that stores all logs in RAM and only does an hourly dump from RAM to the SD card rather than loads of writes a second for all the services. I believe thats how it works, I should go and read up on it again but I hope you get the idea :)
Sounds like ramlog, but it only dumps when necessary or at shutdown.
Link to tutorial by fellow Rasberry owner (not me): http://piserv.nl/blog/index.php/using-t ... pberry-pi/

Baldrick1

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:51 pm

kodess wrote:It'll be fine.
Baldrick1 wrote:There are things you can do to minimize the SDCard writes because as you say, they will eventually wear out. I forget the name of the software (ZRam rings a bell but don't quote me on that) that stores all logs in RAM and only does an hourly dump from RAM to the SD card rather than loads of writes a second for all the services. I believe thats how it works, I should go and read up on it again but I hope you get the idea :)
Sounds like ramlog, but it only dumps when necessary or at shutdown.
Link to tutorial by fellow Rasberry owner (not me): http://piserv.nl/blog/index.php/using-t ... pberry-pi/
You're 100% correct, and thats the blog I was thinking of when I wrote my last post. Ignore the bit about zram, thats something different. RAMLog is what you want :)

Kai

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks a lot. I was more worried that, as it was powered by a phone charger (or something of the sort) it might maybe have minor power glitches. I guess from your posts (and some other reading I've done since posting this) its not something anyone has actually had a problem with!

Many thanks on the RAM tip as well :)

Return to “Networking and servers”