rkr

[urgent][help] best distro for print server

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I want to set up a raspberry Pi a print server on my home's wifi network. Please suggest a suitable and stable distro for this purpose. I'm not very good at Linux but can get my way around the awesome guides available here at the forum/otherwise. I'm planning to use CUPS/HPLIP for my old HP PSC 1410.

This is a little urgent as I have to return to university in a week and this set-up will be used by my parents while I'm away. 

Thanks!

(P. S I'm basically asking if there's any distro which would be best for server use running on SD card. Maybe any that  has less no. of read/write cycles to the SD so that it lasts longer?)
Please help. 

SirLagz

Re: [urgent][help] best distro for print server

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:48 pm

To be honest, any of them at the moment is about as good as any other.
Raspbian has a few custom images on their downloads page, one of which is a minimal install that would probably suit a base install of CUPS etc.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

rkr

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:18 am

Downloading that. Thanks. :)
But wouldn't this be similar to Arch Linux which is supposed to have minimal background processes running?
Is there any image with reduced number of read/write cycles to the SD so that it lasts longer?

P.S. It'll be running headless 100% of the time as a print server. So GPU acceleration for the x window system isn't required, I guess. Please correct me if I'm wrong..

TurboLama

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:48 am

My Pi printserver is running Arch Linux, but I don't think its better choice for this purpose than Raspbian, I just use Arch everywhere ;)
I wouldn't worry so much about SD card write cycles, I run many servers from CF cards or USB flash drives without problems.
For headless printserver X server is of course unnecessary.

rkr

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 am

Yes, I won't need X server after setting up. But currently it's a greatt addition as I'm googling along for commands for setting up the server. ;)

Return to “Networking and servers”